Sunday, October 07, 2012

Sunday NFL picks week #5

Last Week - 12 - 15 
(Won the football pool!)
Overall - 37 - 26


Cincinnati over Miami - I haven't been able to see the Bengals play yet for any significant time, but I'm picking them over the Dolphins as they are in a hard division.  Tee hee.

Indianapolis over Green Bay - Okay, this is one of my upsets this week.  The Packers won last week, the replacement refs are no more, and although the team got it together last week I haven't forgotten their play of the first three weeks and think last week was played on emotion and anger.  On the other side, Colts coach Chuck Pagano was hospitalized this week and is being treated for leukemia.  He has communicated with the team and has left former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians in charge.  The Colts organization has put together a CHUCKSTRONG campaign selling blue shirts, wristbands, and other paraphernalia to raise money for leukemia.  While they expect a huge showing of Packers fans for Sundays game, it is still a home game and one that will be full of a lot of emotion.  I'm going with that for the win.

Baltimore over Kansas City - While I don't think Kansas won't be the next Lions team in loosing I also don't think they will beat the Ravens.  I wish they would, but they won't.

Giants over Browns - New York is coming off a loss.  Cleveland is winless.  At some point this year the Browns will win, but like the Chiefs, it won't be this week.

Pittsburgh over Philadelphia - The two PA teams that everyone wants to think are big rivals.  Pfft.  The Eagles are just another team they need to beat on the way to capturing another title.  The Steelers three injured players are "probable", but I anticipate James Harrison and Troy Polamalu to run out on Heinz Field on Sunday afternoon.  Home game.  Steelers need this win and they'll get it.

Atlanta over Washington - I'm liking this Falcon team and I'm liking RGIII and his style, but I think the Falcons are on a roll and that they just keep on rolling.

Carolina over Seattle -This is one that could go either way.  Both teams lost last week which takes away that little edge.  I like the Seahawks defense, but the Panthers have Cam Newton, who although wishy washy is more wishy than washy when it comes down to tight games.  So I'll go with the fact that the Panthers are playing at home and the Seahawks are having to travel.  Panthers win.

Chicago over Jacksonville - How annoying or exciting is it to watch to see whether Bears QB Jay Cutler will or will not break down, whine, grimace, ignore his coaches, yell at his players, etc.  Certainly makes for great TV for the announcers.  The Jags aren't so exciting and therefore won't win this week either.

Minnesota over Tennessee - The Vikings and the Titans are sort of alike in my mind except Minnesota is 3-1 and Tennessee 1-3 so I'm going with that and giving the win to the sneaky Vikings.

Denver over New England - This is my other upset this week and one I'm second guessing.  Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.  Brady doesn't like that Manning gets the respect, the talk, and the commercials.  He likes to come out gunning when he plays Manning.  Manning considers Brady a worthy opponent and always throws plenty when playing him.  I expect this to be an offensive game.  I don't remember why I went with Peyton except I like him and respect him more and love his commercials.  Hope that's good enough.

San Francisco over Buffalo - I think the Bills have play in them, but not against the 49ers who have more than that in their gut.

San Diego over New Orleans -This is my other unsure upset of this week.  Hmmm.. A lot like Manning vs. Brady.  Philip Rivers vs. Drew Brees.  Brees use to be the QB of the Chargers with Rivers as his back-up.  Imagine there is pressure and rivalry between the two.  New Orleans is without a win, at home, and Brees is certainly going to break Johnny Unitas' record of consecutive passes in 47 straight games with his suspended coach in the stands. (Brees asked Goodall to allow suspended coach Sean Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis, and assistant coach Joe Vitt to attend Sunday night's game)  Why the hell did I go with the Chargers?  Felt it in my gut.  Although maybe that was just gas.

Houston over the Jets - Yeah, the poor, poor Jets.  Blah.  They need ego checks in and out of the locker room and I'm thinking it needs to start with the coaching staff first.  Houston has no problems in the locker room or on the field and they are just cruising their way to the Super Bowl.  Won't be any problems for them here.


No comments: