Thursday, October 25, 2012

Out of the mouths of my babes

Darcy plays co-ed flag football for her school.  At the beginning of the year after her first game she told me that she felt she could catch the ball easier if she had some receiver gloves.  Apparently all the boys had them.  I asked around and found out that the fathers had paid $40 for their sons gloves.  I found that a tad expensive and asked if they had tried Target.  They looked at me in surprise because of course they had gone to a sporting goods store and paid top dollar. 

The next weekend Darcy and I were at Walmart and she went over to the sporting section and found a pair of Riddell receiver gloves for $15.  When we got to the check-out the gloves rang up $25 and so we went back to the sporting section and sure enough the pair she had were more expensive.  I thought they were better gloves than the $15 ones and so we kept them.

Me:  "Now that I've paid $25 for these gloves I expect you to catch the ball.  In fact I expect touchdowns."

Darcy:  "Well, I borrowed Julianna's gloves and it makes it easier to catch.  It doesn't hurt my hands to catch the ball."

Me:  "Yeah, well, then I expect catches.  I figure that for every catch you make I'll subtract a dollar.  That means by the end of the season if you don't want to pay me for the gloves you will need to have made 25 catches to pay off the debt."

The next game Darcy not only caught the ball, but ran it in for a touchdown.  She came over to the sideline after the game.  I had mentioned my deal with all of the fathers, one of whom wanted to know if I had purchased gardening gloves when he saw them on Darcy's hands. (I got back at him for that when she scored the touchdown.)





Me:  "Awesome job!  One dollar down.  Only 24 more catches to go."


Darcy:  "Actually, I caught the ball and scored 6 points on that touchdown so technically that should be worth $6."

(Can't slip anything past her.  And the fathers all hooted and hollered over that and are holding me to that deal.)

No comments: