Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday NFL picks & more - Week 7

Last Week - 5 - 9
Overall - 52 - 40

  • Buffalo over Tennessee - This might be an interesting game as both teams are evenly matched despite their records. While Matt Hasselback has shown considerable poise and determination at quarterback I'm not sure that he can beat Buffalo on the road. 
  • Indianapolis over Cleveland - This is the game I had a hard time with.  Will Andrew Luck step up and avenge his loss from last week?  Will the Browns ride their win from last week while on the road?  I think the Browns will finally put it together, not sure what is happening with them as I haven't really seen them play, but I went with the Colts because they are at home.
  • Green Bay over St. Louis - Here come the Packers!  After a mediocre start, the team from Green Bay is getting it together behind their quarterback.  Don't expect them to have any trouble this week.
  • Minnesota over Arizona - The Vikings are the surprise team of the year working their way slowly and efficiently through and over their opponents.  Arizona with much expectation started out with a bang, but now barely whimpers where the offense is concerned.  A change at quarterback may spark them, but not in enough time for a win this week.
  • Washington over Giants - This is my wildcard win.  No reason for it.  A feeling.
  • New Orleans over Tampa Bay - Don't expect the Buccaneers to play like they played last week with the Saints coming off of a bye.  While I don't think the Saints have solved any of their issues I don't think the Bucs have either.  Playing at home, as I've said before, ain't exactly an advantage for Tampa.  This game will put a W in the Saints category.
  • Dallas over Carolina - Tony Roma will pull through this week.  I mean the Cowboys are playing the 1-4 Panthers.  This is a gimme game before the have to play the Giants and the Falcons.  Roma and the Cowboys need a win just to get them on a high for the next two weeks.  He'll get it this week.
  • Baltimore over Houston - I think the Ravens can do it.  They've lost their leader with Ray Lewis' injury.  He'll be telling them to win it for him.  They will.
  • Oakland over Jacksonville - I think Oakland has a team.  I think Oakland wins.
  • New England over Jets - Bad blood between these two teams.  The Jets were fired up last week, but the Patriots are coming off of a loss.  Statistics show that Tom Brady doesn't lose many two in a row games.  Patriots will show the Jets that their game last week was a fluke.
  • Pittsburgh over Cinncinati - The Steelers need a win or we will just have to put a fork in them and call the team done.  Harsh, yes.  True, yes.  We need some Ray Lewis leadership and I'm thinking LaMarr Woodley will be the one who will step up and fire this team.  Not sure the players have the respect for Ben or that Ben has the mojo to stand up and scream any more.  He sort of stands around like no one will listen to him, preferring to speak on the field.  But the team needs a leader.  Let's see if someone pulls them through.
  • Chicago over Detroit - This could be a real good Monday night game.  I'm going with Cutler because the Lions have been too wishy washy lately.  Period.
  • Ray Lewis - Despite my harsh feelings on Lewis, I do think that he is a leader in the locker room, the field, and, after his murder trial acquittal, in the community.  I would say that he answered the wake-up call after his arrest and reinvented himself for the better.  He is the spark that ignites the Baltimore Ravens team each week.  He yells.  He cheers.  He coaches.  He'll do this on the sidelines now with what could be a career ending injury.  I'm sorry for that.  I think each team needs a motivating man like Ray Lewis.  I think that is more than half of the Steelers problem right now.  I hope that the Ravens really didn't make him play injured.  I hope he can come to terms with life after football.  
  • Roger Goodell stepping aside - Regarding the Saints bounty appeals, NFL Commissioner Goodell is sitting these out and turning over the job to former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliebue.  A smart move.  Not a move I see Goodell doing on his own, but smart by whomever made the call.  My problem with all of it is that this is still dragging on.  This is the reason why the NFL allows all these misfits, criminals, etc. because we have appeal systems and mediation processes despite a ruling.  Darn the law.
  • Tebowing - Tim Tebow's marketing arm has filed to trademark Tim's touchdown celebration of going down on one knee and praying.  Tebow says it is to control how it is used, which makes sense in selling of a T'shirt kind of way, but seriously?  Tebow isn't the only athlete to fall to one knee on the football field.  He isn't the only person to fall to knee to pray.  But now we will all have to make sure that we do this in the dark of our own home and not where a trademarking official can fine us?  Cue my eye rolling.  Ah, the crazy NFL again.

No comments: