Saturday, October 13, 2012

Out of the mouths of my babes

Darcy and I spent today shopping for fall, football, Halloween decorations for the front yard.  When we returned home I made her help me clean the front porch and decorate; spend some quality time with her mother.  The first thing we did was sweep away the millions of leaves that fall from our oak tree on to our brick porch and sidewalk.  I took the porch and Darcy the sidewalk while Elliot ran from one to the other of us trying to eat our broom and our pile of leaves.  Eventually we ended up with a small pile of leaves out on the sidewalk.

Me:  "Go get the dustpan and we can dump those into this bag."

Darcy instead began sweeping the leaves into the yard.

Me:  "Darcy!  What?  GO GET THE DUSTPAN.  Why would you do that?  We just swept them all up.  You'll just have to do that again when it comes time to rake them in the yard.  Jeez.  Get the dustpan."

I went back to the porch and began working on the windows.  When I turned around Darcy was scooping up the leaves in this:

Me:  "What are you doing?"

Darcy:  "You said get the dustpan and use that for the leaves."

Me:  "Uh, Darcy.  That is not a dustpan."

Darcy:  "It isn't?"

Me:  "That is a shovel."

Darcy:  "Well, it looks just like a dustpan and it works the same so who cares."

No comments: