Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday NFL recap - week 7

Steelers:

Cue the music.  Santa Claus is coming to town! The Steelers game was on locally so I could pace and take deep breaths within my Steelers room while muttering the words, "I believe! I believe!" And my friend was at the game sending pictures.
  • Run, Ben, Run - He ran more this time then last time and it was a thing of beautyI like that he is now willing to try new things now that he doesn't have much more to lose.
  • Shaun Suisham - Mr. Clutch14-14 this season in kicking field goals.  Now that everyone is touting that statistic he is bound to miss one soon.  No, No, I believe.  I believe.
  • Touchdowns - No matter how great the win is we have got to work at getting into the end zone. We have got to get 7 points instead of 3 when we get into the red zone. 
  • Le'Veon Bell - The running back not only wormed his way through the masses running, but he helped by catching shovel and quick passes racking up 93 yards. For a change we have a draft pick worth something.  And he has a cool name.
  • Troy Polamalu - He is all over the field, but he did a lot of jumping the gun yesterday and he hasn't had an interception or fumble recovery in like two years.  I hope that means he is due and not aging.
Others:
  • Aerobics in the end zone - I'm tired of all the striding, dancing, and somersaulting into the end zone. Stop with the theatrics. How many times has acting like that gotten a player into trouble and resulted in the opposite? Run over the line with the ball tightly tucked in to your side please.
  • QB Injuries - One went down, Chicago's Jay Cutler, and then another, Rams' Sam Bradford, and then another, Philly's backup Nick Foles, like dominoes. All three teams lost more then just their games.
  • One handed grab - I saw three receivers go up and make catches with one hand. The first time was Tampa's Vincnte Jackson and I thought it the most amazing catch. Then the Falcons did it. Later on NBC's recaps of the days' games the Niners receiver made a one paw snatch, and suddenly it was just old hat. 
  • Mike Glennon - The new Bucs quarterback, drafted this year, looked determined, had a steady, long throw, and wasn't afraid to run.  It almost made one think the Bucs were on their way to greatness.  But then again that is the way Josh Freeman, Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, etc. looked and made one feel.  If I were Glennon I would rent instead of buy.
  • Jim Harbaugh defense - The NBC staff snickered and discouraged Coach Harbaugh's getting into the midst of two players fighting, but frankly I liked that he was not afraid to get his hands dirty in defending his player. Not to mention Harbaugh has mouthed off enough about everyone else's fighting that he couldn't just stand on the sidelines and watch.
  • Packers throwback uniforms - Not as bad as the bee uniforms the Steelers won last week, but you had better win if you are forced to wear something like what the Packers came out wearing.
  • Bum Phillips - The former Houston Oilers coach died on Friday. He was one my dad liked along with The Cowboys' Tom Landry. He related to those hardcore, stern faced leaders.  His son, Wade, of course was on the sidelines as the defensive coordinator for the Texans on Sunday despite losing his father two days prior.  Just another thing my dad would have related with.
  • Jim Irsay - He made some comments on a radio show about Peyton Manning and how he only won one ring in his 14 years of greatness with Indianapolis. He said later it was misconstrued, but it got the media fired up (as if they never talked about that) and was the top story on all the Pregame shows. Consensus was, not matter how right he might have been, it was disrespectful to a guy who made your team what it is today. Peyton, as always classy, declined to comment on it.  I just wonder if Irsay knew exactly what he was doing when he opened his mouth.  After 14  years you would think he knows what would work to get inside Manning's head.
  • Peyton's return - It was the first game for Manning again at Lucas Oil Stadium since being cut by the Colts after 14 years. The hype surrounding his return dominated in the media. Indiana fans handled it well cheering for what seemed like hours when Manning was introduced. The Colts organization played a tribute on the jumbo-tron thanking Manning.  Manning, of course, was classy as always taking off his helmet, acknowledging the fans, and touching his heart.
  • Broncos lose - At some point these winning teams lose just as the losing teams will win.  Perhaps as Manning said after the game it was a bit of exhaustion and emotions that did the Broncos in.  I hated that it had to come against the Colts.  As I get older and watch my relatives age I really want to see these older athletes beat out the younger replacements.  Just one more time.  Shades of my future?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't know if you heard them say last night, but Peyton Manning has beat every team in the NFL except the Colts. I was sorry to see Peyton lose, but I was so happy the Colts beat the Broncos! Love Peyton, but would hate for him to ever beat the Colts:)

cmkerwin said...

Michelle, I think he will beat the Colts and it will be this year in the postseason. That's my wild prediction! But then again, I only rooted for the Colts because of Tony Dungy and Manning. If it were my Steelers I would feel like you do. :)