Thursday, October 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday

In staying with my Florida theme (especially since these pictures are all stored in the same box), I am throwing it back to the Christmases I have spent here in the southern state.  Kim and I moved to Florida in November so the holidays began not long after we were settled in with her grandparents.  Both of us flew home for Christmas that year, but we did celebrate the holiday before we left.


One of the traditions at the complex that we lived in was that each year the owners decorated their buildings.  I forget how many apartments were in the building that we lived in, but all of them got together with a big box of decorations that they had accumulated over the years on the night of decorating.  I thought it was so cool (a term used back in the day) that these older people were so actively involved in everything.  That was the first impression I had of Florida; the elderly did things.  After we helped put up the decorations, Kim and I joined the church youth group and went around the complex caroling.  I loved it despite the warm weather, something I dislike about living in Florida over Christmas.  Funny thing was that after Kim and I flew off to our various states it actually snowed in Florida, the last time it has done so, and we missed it.


Despite missing that huge event, Kim and I continued to fly home every year, but not before we decorated and celebrated in our home.  This was the tree that we purchased at the Ben Franklin store down the street from our apartment.  I still have that tree, as well as that huge stocking.  The stocking was made by Kim's mother and why I have it I'm not sure, but I seemed to have railroaded my way to several things we use to own together.  I put up the stocking every year as I do the tree and it is like a little part of Kim is celebrating with us.


This is the tree in Tom's apartment that he moved into while we were dating.  We decorated this tree right before I flew home to Indiana.  He gave me a CD player that year that could play 6 CD's instead of one like the player I had.  I was really excited about that gift.  The next year he picked me up from the airport and we stopped along the causeway overlooking the gulf and had a picnic with champagne.  He was very creative like that back in the day.


At work, the recreation department had a Secret Santa exchange with the final gift being given at a Christmas breakfast every year, but it was at 6:00 in the morning.  Since it took me thirty minutes to get to the city and since I worked the evening shift I only made it to one breakfast.  I did participate  in the Secret Santa exchange, but that final gift was always a bummer since I wasn't there to thank my Santa or to see the expression on my recipient's face.  So one year we decided to just celebrate with the pool employees.  We exchanged names and met at Chilis for a nice dinner.



After Tom bought the house he pulled out his artificial tree and we set it up in the empty living area.  More presents could go around a tree in an empty room, even if they didn't fit under the tree.  When he was little his family celebrated St. Nicholas Day and when they would come home from church there would be presents for all of them.  We went out somewhere on December 6th and when we returned that night there were presents.  Mine was a box of Cracker Jacks that had an engagement ring inside instead of the toy.  He asked me to marry him that night.



Eventually that artificial tree was moved into what is now the dining room and then I got my way and it was replaced with a real tree which is what we have now each year.  I love the smell of a real tree and I have special memories of going out to get our tree with my dad.



The first Christmas after we were married we spent with Tom's family.  It was hard for me not to be home, but his family welcomed me very warmly.  It was the first time that his dad hugged me and he whispered a thank you to me for coming.  Tom's sister announced she was pregnant with the first grandchild that Christmas so it was quite special.  His family celebrated on Christmas Eve with a huge meal, midnight mass, and then the opening of presents.  I remember being really tired after all of that.  After the grandchildren began arriving celebrating was done only on Christmas. 



Tom's mother is very much the party planner.  She goes all out when she hosts celebrations.  Her home is always very nicely decorated with a real Christmas tree (points from me on that) and a beautiful table.  She always has something on the table for us to take home, some little ornament or little gifts that you crack open.  Tom's father's job at the holidays, beside the outdoor decorating, was to put out the candles around the house on Christmas Eve, something their whole neighborhood did.  It was always so beautiful arriving home on Christmas Eve.





After we got married we began celebrating Christmas by alternating years with our families.  He comes from a huge family so the tree is always packed with presents and we now have to eat in two rooms at two tables instead of just at one.


In 1996 Madison was born and both families came to spend Christmas with us and to meet the new addition to the family.  That was a crazy time for me with a new baby that wasn't eating well, my friend Sharon's wedding, an illness I had from breastfeeding, Tom's reluctance to take Madison out of the house, and two different families wanting time with the new baby.  It was also the first Christmas that I met Jay, my cousin's boyfriend, now her husband.  The fact that he could survive that chaos was all we needed to welcome him into the fold.  It was also my last Christmas with my dad.



The kids began arriving one right after the other and the holiday got bigger and more hectic.  Another memorable Christmas was the time that Tom's brother-in-law borrowed a Santa outfit from a friend and arrived on Christmas Eve at the grandparent's door.  Everyone was worried that the kids could tell who it was, but after my experience with my boss I wasn't too worried.  It didn't go over as well as Santa would have liked.  Madison still remembers that night and thinking how Santa looked a lot like Uncle Mike. 

My kids still hold on to the belief of Santa Claus, even at 14 and 17.  They stopped asking me if he is real.  I know that they know the truth, but they both choose to hold on to that special feeling, that magic of the man.  I play along too because I remember and deep down...I still believe in the old guy myself.

No comments: