Friday, April 24, 2015

Visit from the northerners


My family flew into town for a brief visit before they headed off to the land of magic for vacation. I was suppose to accompany them on the trip to Disney World, but ended up on my own plan flying in the opposite direction. So we had to make the most of the time we had and cram in everything that my SIL needs from her beloved Florida.

I picked them up at the airport in the evening and took them to a restaurant that I hadn't been to in years despite its close proximity to my house. Because it was a Thursday and because it was way after the dinner crowd, we had no trouble getting in and getting seated. Except that my brother got quite chummy with a stranger in the parking lot.

He made comments about my parking job; something he always did in our youth and to which he got into some trouble back in the day. He has yet to learn. So he made fun of my parking abilities. There was a group of elder folks waiting for me to finish parking so that they could get into the vehicle next to mine and when we exited our car they told me what a great job I had done parking. My brother had to, of course, make some comments and one white haired gentleman felt the need to stop and defend me. While the three of us talked Susan and Gabby went into the restaurant and the rest of the man's party got into their parked car.

The topic of conversation turned to the Midwest and when my brother learned where this man was from he began a discussion on a golf course in this guy's area and one where my brother had played in a tournament. At some point while they talked I realized that the car next to us (and the one this man's party had gotten into) was pulling out. The man paid it no mind. He also paid it no mind when it drove away. I thought that a little odd and had a moment of panic, but figured that this man had driven himself in another car. It turned out that they just didn't notice his absence until they got a little further down the road. They turned around and came back into the parking lot where the two men were STILL talking, both oblivious to the fact that this man was stranded. They honked and made the man leave my brother so they could all go home. It reminded me of my dad and how much my brother is like him.


The next day we spent going through some of my mother's stuff and taking a walk on the beach. Oh, and eating. This family can flat out EAT.




They got to see the high school play that both of my girls were involved with. It was a comedy by Woody Allen and I have to say it was entertaining, funny, and quite good. I'm impressed with how well these high school drama departments really are!

The final day we had together we spent at my house poolside. Rusty actually got into a bathing suit and got into the pool. Again, shades of my father who always forgot to pack a bathing suit when we vacationed to the beach and who always left to buy one.


We finished off the last night with a pizza on the beach and a stroll along the pier where the girls got henna tattoos and had a cartoon portrait done.



It was a nice time, but way too short. Until next time....

No comments: