Wednesday, October 28, 2015

2015 Fall TV Preview

Every year I get excited when the new fall season of television starts. What will catch my fancy? What writers will blow my mind? Lately, though I've been discouraged as networks don't give many shows a chance. Still I keep on watching. Here are my ratings, after trying to watch each show more than once, from 1-10 of the new shows:
  • Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris - Out of all the same old, same old shows that the networks have rolled out this year this little half hour show is the BOMB. Fun, live, crazy, unpredictable, and full of celebrities, it was touted as revival of shows like Donny and Marie, but it is more than that. Hidden camera pranks. Comedy skits. Game shows. It has it all with Neil Patrick Harris as the host and the performer. My favorite is the surprises he pulls on real people with episode 3's Mike Long, a dad who wanted to let his four kids know how much he loved them, as my all time favorite. It is short, sweet, and just plain fun. Rating: 9
  • Blindspot - There is tons wrong with this show about an amnesic woman who awakens in a duffle bag in the middle of Times Square with tattoos over every inch of her body except her face. But there is something about it that draws me in. The woman has the name of an FBI agent tattooed on her back so that of course leads to her helping the FBI try to solve why that is, and every week we get some more information about her past. Rating: 7
  • Blood & Oil - I really wanted this to be good for Don Johnson's sake (and btw his face lift is way better than his ex's Melanie Griffith), but after years of Dallas and 2012's Vegas with Dennis Quaid this drama just doesn't cut it. Lots of beautiful people. Lots of sex. Lots of backstabbing and family squabbles. Hey, network guys, THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. And done better. Rating: 4
  • Grandfathered - As I've stated time and time again I'm not much of a sitcom fan unless the writing is really great. I watch very few sitcoms. That being said this is one that I tried because it had John Stamos and what is not to like about that? While I say it is a step above most sitcoms (Two Broke Girls for sure), it isn't top notch. The first episode wasn't bad, and I thought it might have possibilities, but episodes two and three told me that wasn't going to be the case. I hear it isn't doing well and probably won't be around much longer, and I'm not surprised. Rating: 5
  • The Grinder - This show, on the other hand, is my fav of the season. Great plot line; actor who has played a lawyer for eight years comes home to his real law family after his show is canceled and tries to join the firm because, well, he's been a lawyer for eight years. Hilarious. Three great actors in Rob Lowe, Fred Savage, and William Devane (does he look good, or what?) and they pull it off. Savage's character's frustration with his brother, "the actor", is spot on and Lowe does the Grinder well. Rating: 9
  • Life in Pieces - I did have a few laughs at the first episode, but wasn't impressed. This sitcom told in four segments has major stars, Dianne Wiest and James Brolin, and is touching in its own way. Lucky for me, I tried more than one episode and found that it was much better than that first episode. Rating: 7
  • Rosewood - This show is scoring well in the ratings, and while it isn't rocket science television, the humor between the two main characters keeps us watching. Rosewood is a medical examiner for hire and helps out the police, especially one main detective. Sound familiar? Uh, hello Forever, my show that got axed. Only difference in these two shows is location, writing, and lead character. In Forever he couldn't die. In Rosewood he is dying. Rating: 7
  • Limitless - Leading where the Bradley Cooper movie left off, this show works because of the humor. The lead character, taking the drug NZT which makes him a genius and sort of a super hero while under the influence, is hilarious and doesn't take himself too seriously. He works now for the FBI in exchange for his dad's new liver. Bradley Cooper makes a few appearances now and then as his character from the movie who has created another drug that counteract the deadly side effects of NZT. It is enjoyable TV. Rating: 8
  • The Player - My husband and I were confused through the first episode and had to do some rewinding to try to put it all together. By the end of it we gathered that Wesley Snipes is a guy who hires the main character, Alex, a security expert, to try to stop crimes while Snipes' wealthy clients bet on whether or not Alex will succeed in time. A gamble with lives at stake. Hmmmm. Meanwhile the subplot has to do with whether or not Alex's wife is dead or alive. Apparently this show has already been on the chopping block with only nine episodes being ordered, downsized from thirteen. My thought while watching was, don't these people have better things to do with their money, technology, and brains? Like helping people? Doing good for mankind? Rating: 6
  • Quantico - So far, after two shows, I'm interested. The premise is different, the action jumps all over the place, and there is tons of plots. Who is good? Who is the terrorist? What happened before, after, and now? Rating: 8
  • Scream Queens - I tried to understand this show, but holy, mother of all new terrible shows, I couldn't do it. I know it is a spoof, but one, I hate horror films, and two, this is just plain awful. Why must we watch a show with college kids who are shallow, stupid, and certainly not worth the tuition their parents are forking over. ? Ugh. Hate this. Rating: 1
  • Code Black - I stopped watching halfway through the first episode and decided that I was over medical shows. After years of Chicago Hope, ER, and my daily dose of General Hospital I just didn't care. Rating: N/A
  • Heroes Reborn - I loved Heroes, but it went downhill fast and the writers had no idea where to take it. This "rebirth" of the show and some of the characters just isn't grabbing my attention after only one episode. I don't care anymore. The only interesting character was the girl that went in and out of comic books, but I don't think that will be enough to get me to keep watching. Rating: 4
  • Minority Report - Well, I liked this drama, but it too is on the chopping block. Again, adapted from the movie, it takes place fifteen years where the movie left off. A trio of "pre-cogs" who can see the future help a police officer stop murders before they happen. Lots of cool special effects and the pre-cogs are interesting. I like it. Rating: 8 
  • Dr. Ken - A laugh track, silly shenanigans, same old characters, butt jokes, and inane writing. Typical American sitcom. Dr. Ken is funny. I'll give him that, but I'd rather watch The Grinder. Rating: 5
  • The Muppets - I wanted to like this show. I loved the Muppets show back in the day, but this isn't that show. While the episodes have gotten better since the first one I'm not sure it will continue to hold my attention or space on my crowded DVR. Rating: 6
  • Supergirl - This just debuted on Monday so I've only seen one episode, but it's fun. I love Glee's Melissa Benoist as the title character, Superman's cousin, who was originally sent to watch over him, but who instead spent years on another planet where time stood still. Now she is younger than her cousin and realizing her strengths. Add in Ally McBeal's Calista Flockhart and you get a lighthearted, hour of fun. Rating: 8

No comments: