Thursday, December 24, 2015

Annual Holiday Baking

Three years ago my friend SueG insisted we have a holiday bake day. We have continued the tradition, but this year I insisted we each pick three recipes as I was bored with our usual fair that no one ate at my house. We met the day before at breakfast to plan and shop for ingredients and we felt this year was a huge success.



We started out with peppermint chocolate cookies that we had seen on Facebook. They were very easy to make, although we all agreed a tad dry.


After the first batch Darcy knew just how to get out of baking. She volunteered to clean bathrooms. I agreed and like that we were down one baker.





Next up was the buckeyes. The kids rolled the peanut butter mixture into balls and dipped in chocolate with toothpicks. My job at that point was to take the hot sheets out to the garage for cooling. Once cookies were cooled I divided them up into our containers and handed back the sheets for the next batches of cookies. Luckily, we had a cold front come through the night before and cooling was a breeze...no pun intended.



Batch three were blossom cookies. Batch four were snowballs. At some point I got tired of my job of mixing, washing dishes, cooling, and dividing and I took photos.


I insisted on chocolate chip cookies since that is what my mother always made. We made one batch the regular way and the second batch with peppermint chips. Those were interesting to say the least.


The last batch was sugar cookies. Madison had made the dough the night before so I rolled and cut the shapes and the kids decorated. By the six tray we lost the kids. Madison took over my job and SueG and I finished decorating. We have a lot more "ornaments" then we do other shapes as we used a glass for those. WAY easier.

We considered this the best holiday baking day ever. It took all day, but we both ended up with tons of cookies for family and guests. So far everyone in my house has enjoyed the tasty treats. Can't wait until next year!

No comments: