Saturday, December 12, 2015

Happy 35th Magnum

Apparently this week is the 35th anniversary of the television show Magnum P.I. that aired on CBS and starred Tom Selleck. I stumbled on this little tidbit of information online when I went to Yahoo to search something that I've now forgotten all about. The article that updated me on the anniversary was titled, Happy 35th Anniversary "Magnum P.I." : 20 Things You Didn't Know About the Classic Tom Selleck Drama".  So of course, being one of the show's top ten fans, I thought to myself, "Uh huh. I doubt it."

By the seventh one I was just sad. These are things fans didn't know about? Please. Any fan of Magnum knew most of these and the other ones were not even things about the show. I could have written a better article and so I've added my own tidbits to these wacky 20 things.

  1. The Mustache is a Star In Its Own Right - It is in the International Mustache Hall of Fame. He suggested he shave it for Blue Bloods and got turned down. - Knew it. This isn't a bad piece of information as most people might not know it.
  2. Orson Welles Played a Major Role - Seriously? That's what you got for a secret? He did the voice of Robin Masters. Who didn't know that? - Knew it. But did people know that Welles died in 1985 leaving a void and causing the whole "Is Higgins really Robin Masters?" storyline?
  3. Selleck and Sinatra: The Duo That Almost Was - Frank Sinatra met Selleck after one of his shows in Hawaii, loved him and suggested he guest star on Magnum. - Knew it. Who wouldn't love him?
  4. Higgins Wasn't Really British - Okay, well, I disagree with that statement because "Higgins" was British. The actor portraying him, Johnathan Hillerman, wasn't though. He was from Texas. - Yeah, knew it. He did a hell of a job with the role of Higgins.
  5. Magnum Send - Off Broke Records - When I first read that his finale broke records my first thought was, "yep, but that was the second finale, btw." I did not know, however, that this finale is the sixth most watched TV series finale ever. So got me. - Didn't Know it.
  6. Actually, that was the Second Series Finale - Oh, yeah? Well, I told you that! That finale was a tearjerker and sent me on a quest for years and years in trying to find the singer to the song that was played in the final scene as Magnum walks toward the light after being shot. It was "Looking for Space" and was performed by John Denver. I know own it. - Knew it.
  7. Angela Lansbury came to Magnum's Rescue - Okay, so in season 7 ratings for Magnum were down and CBS thought a "cross over" to Murder She Wrote would boost the ratings. - Knew it. Yeah, yeah, but did this writer know that Angela Landsbury wasn't too happy with Tom Selleck and his show? That she made some comments that pissed me off? Like her show was better? Yeah, well that would have been more of a "didn't know" than telling us about a cross over that we WATCHED
  8. Magnum's Signature Look Has Been Reserved for Prosperity - Yes, yes, Tom Selleck donated his red Hawaiian shirt and other memorabilia to the Smithsonian. - Knew it.
  9. A Magnum Movie Has Long Been Rumored, But.... - Yep. Author Tom Clancy was working on the script. - Knew it.
  10. Magnum's Home Now Has A Presidential Connection -  The home that was used as the Robin Master's Estate was recently purchased by President Obama's friend. Uh, okay? And how is this a secret about the drama? - Didn't Know this one. My parents actually went to Hawaii and found the house. While my Dad was off taking pictures around the walled property the security gate opened and a limo drove out past my mom and my parents friends. It stopped and the window rolled down and Tom Selleck smiled out at them
  11. Magnum Was Suppose to Have a Different Ride - In the show Magnum drives Robin Master's Ferrari, but originally it was suppose to be a Porsche. Selleck was too big for that car and the Ferrari came into play with a lot of cutting and rearranging of the inside. - Knew it.
  12. Wes Anderson is A Big Magnum Fan - Uh, what? Who? The director? Again how is this relevant? Jeez, lady I could have written this article better. - Don't care.
  13. Chris Pine Has A Magnum Connection - Uh, see #12
  14. Mrs. Magnum Made An Appearance...sort of - Okay, first of all, you meant Mrs. Selleck, actress Jillie Mack, who guest starred in an episode. - Knew it.
  15. One Magnum Star Wrote A Memoir - I own Larry Manetti's, Aloha, Magnum. Which, by the way, is how I know a lot of this information. Perhaps you too? - Knew it. 
  16. Magnum Almost Launched A Spin-off - Erin Gray, after guesting on an episode in Season 1, was suppose to have her character launch a spin-off that never happened. Okay, now that is interesting and something most fans might not know. I didn't. But why didn't it launch? - Didn't Know that.
  17. James Rockford Helped Magnum Happen - Selleck loved his role as a rival P.I. on Rockford Files and that role was one of the reasons he signed on playing Magnum. Hmmmm.. I think the problem with these "things we didn't know" are they are stated weirdly. Maybe she should havesaid, "Magnum wasn't Selleck's first P.I. role" or something. - Knew it.
  18. Archer Played Homage to a Classic Magnum Moment - I don't know Archer as I've never seen it so again this is stupid. But I do agree that this scene in "Did You See the Sunrise?" is a classic. It is without a doubt one of my favorite episodes and like the creator of Archer I too was open mouthed and shocked at the ending. - I don't even know what to say about this one.
  19. You, Too, Can Have a Magnum Style Hawaiian Adventure - I'm worn out from this crappy article that is suppose to be a tribute. I can rent a place next door to what was once the estate and might now be housing the president? - Who cares.
  20. Harrison Ford Owes Selleck A Big Thank You - Tom Selleck was chosen first as the main character in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but due to Magnum he couldn't take the role as the producers wouldn't give him time off to film it. - Knew it. Everyone knows it.
The only thing good to come out of this article was a link to Magnum Mania where REALLY interesting details about the show are told. 


No comments: