Saturday, June 24, 2017

On their way to a singles bar

Two weeks ago every night while we were sitting down watching television a roach would crawl casually across the floor right in front of us. They were never large, more between medium and small, and they were slow enough for us to smash them with a shoe. Which is what we do in Florida when we see roaches. At least in this house. Madison doesn't believing in killing any animal, small or large, but after trying and failing to kill a gigantic roach that ended up escaping into my closet and requiring a purge to get to it, she is now smashing them with shoes too.

It was the oddest thing. Every night. I would smack it with a shoe and leave the body for Tom who didn't believe that it was "every night". I started griping about how my fired bug man, he of the naked photo of my mother HERE, never let roaches crawl through my house despite a week of rain. My husband fired him to go with a start up company who also treats our lawn at a much lower price, and I went with this with the understanding that if I wasn't happy we would go back to CB.

Tom told me to email the new company as they were coming the next day and so I did, outlining the issue. My bug man showed up first thing in the morning, driving his truck with the Superman symbol and wearing little blue booties over his shoes to keep my floors clean.


Carl: "I'm told you have roaches? What exactly is the problem."
Me: "Well, Carl, every night we have a roach strut across this floor right here as if heading to a night club with nary a care or concern. My guess is it's a singles night club since they never stroll through in pairs."
Carl: "What do they look like?"

Huh? That one threw me, but he explained that my description would help him determine the type of roach and so I did the best I could by holding up my fingers a few inches apart. When he mentioned the word "small" I moved my fingers further apart because I didn't want him to go light on whatever treatment he was going to do. Small isn't a word I use to describe any type of roach.

We discussed the possibility that they were coming from the boxed refrigerator I have sitting in my living room that Darcy received as a graduation gift. The thing is too heavy to move, and we have no idea where to move it, and so it is sitting in my living room until move in date arrives. Carl examined the box, but found no "traces" of single or families of roaches. We discussed where they could be coming from, and after examining behind and over various furniture and finding no "traces", he decided they were because of the vast amount of rain we have received lately and that they were strolling in through the front door. I told him that they were unwelcome, and he brought out a small vial of mysterious potion from a hidden pocket and dropped it behind and around my furniture. Then he went outside and did his normal spraying job.

Carl: "Let me know if you have any other problems, but that bait should do the trick."
Me: "You've closed down the singles bar? With bait?"
Carl: "That's how we do it in the bug world."

And he got back into his Superman truck and headed off to protect more houses. So far, knock on wood, we haven't had our nightly visits. I have found one dead, gigantic roach in the garage, and Darcy found a not so large one in the Steelers room. I'm giving it another week, and if I see any more I might have to go the way of my MIL and purchase THIS. Or I'm calling CB, begging forgiveness and offering my mother's naked photo for him to return.

No comments: