Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Streaming shows for summer

During the summer while regular television is on hiatus, I watch a lot of shows on streaming sites. Here's my list of recommendations if anyone is looking for enjoyable ways to kill time.
  • Movie - The Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Hulu - Signing up for a free month of Hula is worth it just to see this New Zealand movie. It is laugh out loud. The teen actor is hilarious, and the mom, OMG the foster mom, deserves a whole movie just by herself. I've researched the director and now want to see some of her other films.
  • TV Series - Longmire - Netflix - My friend's mother is an avid reader and when I see her we discuss books. She recommended the book series Longmire by Craig Johnson to me and then told me it was also a television series on A&E. I never took her up on it until this summer. I started watching Longmire on Netflix where the series moved after A&E cancelled it after season 3. The mysteries are engaging, the main character is lovable as are the secondary characters, and the Wyoming scenery is breathtaking. They are ending it after season 6 which is currently being filmed, and I will miss these guys as if they were family.
  • Movie - Sing Street - Netflix - I wanted to see this movie at the theater, but never made it. The same director John Carney did one of my favorite movies, Begin Again. This one is just as good. Great soundtrack. Wonderful story. A real feel good movie.
  • TV Series - Freaks and Geeks - Netflix - I'm disappointed to learn this show only lasted one season. Set in 1980 when yours truly was in high school I found this show a step back in time. Not that I was a part of the freaks or the geeks, but the clothes, hair, scenery, parents, school, etc. brought back memories. A cast full of newbies who we now know made it years later adds to the hilarity.
  • Movie - Amelie - Netflix - Be warned. This movie is French with subtitles. I had a hard time in the beginning trying to watch the action and read at the same time, but once the movie gets going you too learn to adapt. An interesting premise with lots of interesting twists. It's a simple story that weaves into other stories and leaves you feeling good for those summer nights when you just want to chill.
  • TV Series - Doogie Houser M.D. - Hulu - I was excited to watch this show again since I devoured it as a teen. Whoa. The things on television back then that are now changed. I was a bit shocked at the risque content, but kind of proud of my generation for tackling those story lines. Fun to see Neil Patrick Harris as a youngster in all his geekiness, but viewers have to remember this is old school television.
  • Movie -  Sleepwalk with Me - Netflix - Another indie flick. A simple story about a comedian and his anxieties. Interesting and funny.
  • TV Series - Saving Grace - Netflix - Okay, I started watching this a year or so ago, but left it and came back. It's pretty hardcore and a tad depressing, but the acting is top notch and the police stories hold interest. Grace has flaws and lots of them and her angel from God works hard at getting her to have faith, but she is one stubborn chick who just might outwit all of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Freaks and Geeks is hilarious. It's so awkward and unfordable that it's funny