Thursday, June 01, 2017

Out of the mouths of my babes

Darcy's college nickname is the bull and so fans, students, and alumni know that the bull sign is made with one hand, pointer and pinkie finger extended like horns with the other digits curled down. I've known this sign since moving into the area and it is used any time USF is mentioned. Someone on the street says they are an alumni of USF? You make the sign at them and say, "Go Bulls". It's just one of the those things.


Madison's college nickname is a Tar Heel which no one really understands, much like Indiana's "Hoosier". Many folklore stories are passed around regarding this nickname and suffice it to say, it all has to do with war and tar sticking to soldiers' heels. Their mascot is a ram and how that figures in with a tar heel is beyond me, but the Tar Heel sign is a foot with a black dot on the heel.


Darcy received information about banking at college in the mail and passed it on to me as I have been trying to prepare ahead, and banking is at the top of my list. I took the paper which had the well known sign for USF at the top and began reading aloud. The letter had bullet points and so after each point I read aloud I made the universal USF Bull sign with my fingers.

Madison: "What's with the sign? You keep doing that."
Me: "That's how it's done girlfriend." (making the sign) "Go Bulls!"
Madison: "O-Kay..."
Me: "Listen, you're going to have to get with the program. This is your sister's school now and this is the way we show support." (making the sign) "Go Bulls! I'd do the same for you...well, except that I'm not sure how to make the tarheel sign. Do you even have a sign? How would you make the Tar Heel sign?"
Madison:


Yikes! I don't even want to know how she got that black dot...

No comments: