Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Out of the mouths of my babes

I work very hard every day on my freshly minted writing career. Whether I'm studying up on the nuances of romance writing, devouring book after book, or actually sitting down and writing, I am feverishly working. Yesterday, after a nap with the puggle to rejuvenate I sat down to continue the editing I was working on before I felt myself heading into slumber land. (Which is not a positive to build readership, I suppose now that I'm hearing myself say that....)

Me: "...as if she had wrapped her hand around an electric wire" Ugh. I don't like that.

Madison: "It depends on what you're referencing that to."

Me: "A tingling started at her hand and zipped through her arm at the touch of his lips on her skin, as if she had wrapped her hand around an electric wire." Ugh. It's so cliche.

Madison: "Well, I would think all of that genre is a cliche. I mean, how many ways can you describe and discuss romance?"

Me: "That is the truth!"

Madison: "But a tingling? Wrapping your hand around an electric wire is going to give you more than a tingling."

Me: "No, I've touched an electric wire. It is a tingling."

Madison: "Well, I was imagining the electric wires overhead outside our house."

Me: "Maybe I should clarify that. as if she had wrapped her hand around an electric chicken wire."

Madison: "Because nothing sounds more romantic than an electric chicken wire." 

No comments: