Monday, September 11, 2017

Monday morning 2017 NFL recap week #1

I get that Hurricane Irma was important, but I really felt that my Steelers game (which was scheduled to be shown on local CBS channel) could have been put in the bottom corner of our local hurricane coverage. Sometimes people waiting for the horrific need something to take their minds off of things. I had to listen on the Pittsburgh Steelers Radio Network, but jeez, I would have liked to have watched some football. Thanks to the NFL Network's Redzone I got to see bits and pieces.

Steelers:
  • Started with a bang for the defense with a blocked kick, a nice roll into the end zone, and a touchdown.
  • Went downhill from there with bad penalties and the O line with issues. Shook off some of the rust with Brown suddenly coming alive, but came out after halftime with a sack and a punt. Ugh.
  • It is easy for fans to whine about Le'Veon Bell's holdout as excuses for his slow play, but former Steelers running back De'Angelo Williams kept giving a players insight via Twitter on the situation. While I get that he is friends with Bell and a former player, you can't convince me that joining your team for practice at the beginning of the year isn't a positive. I was a part of a team once. I also understand your choice for holding out, but I also don't believe that Bell's thought that he should be paid that kind of money and his statement that he plays many positions didn't irritate some teammates. All of that doesn't make for a complete team coming together. Just my opinion as a former coach and team player peeps.
  • Let's see. Martavis Bryant and Le'Veon Bell missed out on training camp. Bryant's final stats were 2 for 14 yards and Bell was 10 for 32 yards rushing and 3 for 15 yards. I stick to the above statement. Next week should be better.
  • Steelers rookie linebacker T.J. Watt had a late hit in the third quarter for a penalty. I yelled at the man. I mean, rookie schmookie. He has a brother in the NFL. He knows the rules. One play later I called an interception and damn if Watt didn't pull that sucker out of the air. That's how to make up for your mistakes.
  • And speaking of the rookie...not a bad first game with two sacks and an interception. Little brother did better than big brother this week.
  • Seriously. The penalties. Do I have to write about this every season? I understand that this is the first game, especially for the stars who had little play in preseason, but this isn't your first rodeo. You know what you can or cannot do and each mistake like that gives the other team first downs, etc. STOP IT. There is NO EXCUSE for 144 yards in penalties.
  • Steelers last play was crucial. God Bless Antonio Brown. He not only made that leaping HUGE catch at the end, but his 182 yards kick started the offense and pushed them through. He was in training camp. Just sayin'.
  • Big players this game: Ben, Brown, and Jesse James!
Other:
  • The Ravens defense in that first half were ALL over the Bengals. Three interceptions for Cincinnati's Andy Dalton most of them by tipped balls from the Ravens. After halftime, I cringed every time Dalton went to throw the ball and sure enough...he got hit from behind and the ball came out and was recovered by the Ravens. At that point, I think Dalton called that a shitty day.
  • What was up with that attempted FG by the Titans who were losing 26-16. With 7 seconds left they attempted a 52 yard field goal. First, of all why? Practice? Second, whoa. That kick was no where NEAR the uprights. That just made the whole thing even worse.
  • Then at 52 seconds with the Eagles leading 30-17 the RedZone went to that game and said, "Desperation mode for Redskins needing..." and then he trailed off because HELLO no way in hell was that team going to go ahead and/or win. Oops. 
  • I'm thankful the NFL got smart and relaxed the rules on celebrations. Of course, the players had to amp it up this week, but for me, I like nothing. Do the job and move it on. Celebrate when the game is over and you've won.
  • The later games were a snooze fest compared to the earlier games. As was the men's final of the US Open. Thank goodness Aaron Rodgers picked up the pace right before the fourth quarter or I might have gone to bed to wait out Irma.

No comments: