Friday, September 01, 2017

Where, oh, where could it be?

I've lost a library book. How that is possible is beyond me. I live in a small one story house and there are few places for large items, such as books, to hide. Although, we have multiple bookcases and millions of books for a single book to get lost within those, but I've checked and haven't found it cozying up to other titles similar to it. It wasn't even a book I've read. I'd like to read it, but alas, I shall not be reading the copy I checked out. Unless I find it somewhere down the road and then I can read it because by then I'll own the book.

I had already renewed the book three times since all of the books I put on hold came in at the same time which coincided with my vacation, my conference, and taking Madison back to school. I didn't have a lot of time for reading and so I kept renewing the books via my online account. When it finally came time to return the book, I couldn't find it. I had taken it with me to New York, but I remember it came home with me. I vaguely remember stuffing it into my gym backpack, but I obviously took it out because it wasn't there. I kept thinking that if I left it somewhere surely a worker would drop it off at the library, but then I smacked myself in the head and realized it could be in any lost and found. Only someone like me would think to return it to the library, and unfortunately people like me are very few and far between in the business world according to my vast knowledge of the business world and the people in it.

Around this time of searching, I received an email letting me know a book Darcy took out was also overdue and there were a few threats of collection agencies and multiple fines. I passed it on to Darcy who was very adamant that the book had been returned since she had thrown it in at the last minute when Tom asked for books to return. She called the library to tell them this and after a search of the shelves by the librarian she was rewarded with a "you're right" and her fees wiped clean. Thinking we might be on a roll, she gave them my book information, but it was not on the shelf. The librarian kindly bypassed the rules and renewed the book for me and suggested I keep "checking the shelves".

That right there brings me to a dilemma. Years ago, Madison had an overdue library book that I knew we had returned. We went to the library and I checked the shelf and there was the very book I was accused of not returning. I went to the desk to report this and got a librarian who in a roundabout way, in front of a line of people, accused me of bringing in the late book and saying I found it on the shelf.

Her: "In the future, you need to come to us first and we will search for the book."

I've never liked this librarian since and have held a grudge against her for seventeen years. I mean, really? The fine was like $2.00 at this point and what would stop me from bringing in the book, shelving it, and then asking for help? Please. Come on, lady.

Fast forward about ten years from this incident to find me with the same problem. This time I went to the librarian on duty, not the mean one, and told her my problem. She led me to the book shelf where she discovered the book, told me not to worry that this happens quite frequently, and that the next time I should just look for the book myself and bring it to the desk. What? 

I've been conflicted ever since, but luckily have not had this problem having kept a keen eye on my books checked out from the library. Until now. I have searched all three vehicles we own. I have gotten on my hands and knees and looked under every piece of furniture in my house. I have searched bags, nooks and crannies, and every underwear drawer. Every time someone calls me the first thing out of my mouth is, "Do you have my library book?" I texted my boss at work and asked her to check our lost and found.

Me: "I don't know why I would have brought a library book since I have you as entertainment, but I'm desperate."
Her: "I checked. It isn't here. Sorry. Have you checked.... example, example, example."
Me: "Yes. It's no use. Someone has obviously broken into my house and taken it."
Her: "Well, quit leaving your front door wipe open for people to come into your house to steal your library book."

She reads my blog. I love that woman.

Wednesday was the last day of my fourth renewal and so I went to the library prepared to shell out the $30 for the missing book that I hadn't even read. There is a small seating area around the large ninety foot desk that encircles the librarian holding area for renewing cards, getting cards, and paying for lost library books. As I entered, my eye went to that very spot to see if someone was manning it, and low and behold it was the evil librarian for whom I hold a grudge.

Groaning, I walked right past her and proceeded to spend enough time checking shelves throughout the library for my missing book that she had moved from her position when I returned. There was no way I was dealing with her in this matter. I went to another area of the desk and told the librarian my sad tale. She wanted to renew the book again for another month to give me time to "look for it".

Me: "I appreciate that. I truly do. But I have searched. I have searched high and low, up and down, over and under, and frankly, my small home looks like a model home that should be opened to the public because I have cleaned and organized it to a T in my efforts to find this book. I have now given up. Another month will not produce this book. Let me show you my wallet and let's end this horror show right now."

The cost was $9.95 and when she gave me that number with a sad look on her face, I refrained from jumping from my chair and dancing a jig around the lobby. Ten dollars? I was expecting three times that amount. She asked again if I wanted to renew the book, and again I told her, with a pitiful look on my face, that I did not. She reminded me that if I paid for the book it would then be mine as they no longer gave the thirty days to return it. I assured her that owning it would be fine with me seeing as how I never read the book. We did the financial transaction, and I kind of felt sorry for old Erle Stanley Gardner's heirs until I realized the book had been purchased twice.

Win win all around. In the meantime, I'm working on a library book tracking device.

No comments: