Friday, September 08, 2017

Waiting on Irma

Today the storm has moved west. I live in that direction, and as soon as I woke up and picked up my phone I had all sorts of texts from well meaning individuals who suggested I evacuate. Uh...yeah, thanks. I freaked out. My husband hates that and so he increased the power in his voice and that freaked me out even more.

Tom: "Why are we arguing?"

I don't know. Storms tend to make people jumpy. Not him. He's the man of steel. He didn't even want to board the house, but I insisted on a couple of windows. We are waiting for the cousin from IN with the plywood. He has to evacuate his mother first as she is mandatory. He will board her up first and head my way, I'm sure.

Me: "We boarded up in 2008. Why did you do that then?"
Tom: "Because everyone told me to do it and so I did."

I just gave up. Apparently, I'm not part of "everyone". Either we will be boarded or not. Half my neighbors are boarding so I can bunk with them if necessary. My kid insists she is safer at school, and while that is horrific as a parent, I have to allow her to make her own decisions. We feel she is safe there so we keep our fingers crossed. I would rather have her here with me, but she has food, water, and shelter and tons of other kids around and so with a heavy heart I keep in contact with her.

Darcy: "No offense, mom, but you aren't the most calm person to be around. I remember the last storm."
Me: "Please, you do not. You were eight years old."

She and Dad started telling me all sorts of stories from back then, but I held up my hand and stopped them cold. Please. This family should know by now I'm the boss.

Me: "Uh, excuse me, peeps, but I blogged the entire hurricane day by day. I know exactly how it all went down."

They caved and bowed to me. It's just how it is when you blog the family's life. They can't escape from the truth. So, the daughter is staying, and we are waiting for the cousin. I did find water this morning at Target while out picking up plastic bins for storing important things like my kids' baby items that I don't want to lose. Husband is home and looking for plywood in case the cousin doesn't show. He has chatted up our neighbors hoping for some spare wood.

Meanwhile, the sun is shining and the world is going on like nothing is about to strike us. It's sort of like after the death of a loved one and you are sad and devastated and the rest of the world is just carrying on. Also, I'm making a list of relatives who contact me in order of contact so I know who I give the best Christmas gifts to this year. Please. They should remember that I blog!

Top three friends/relativesSusan, Teddy, and Tori (and Teddy gets an extra point because he is in Australia reaching out.)

No comments: