Monday, April 19, 2010

Grease is the word

Darcy's friend had her eleven year birthday party this past weekend. The invitation said to dress as a character from the movie Grease, a movie that I didn't think was all that appropriate for eleven year olds. Originally the movie was going to be shown at the party, but after viewing the movie that I loaned her, she opted out of doing that and instead hired an Elvis impersonator.

My problem was dressing my daughter. She wasn't interested in rolling up her blue jeans and wearing a button down shirt. I wasn't interested in spending money on an outfit for a two hour birthday party, despite the whining that all the other kids had costumes. We left it to the last minute and then headed out to the mall to see what we could find.

The first store we entered was JC Penney. We wandered through the kid's aisle and Darcy gravitated toward the clearance rack. And there it was! Right on the rack. A pair of black fake leather pants (plastic actually). I think I actually started shrieking. I began babbling about the movie and how in the end Danny wears his letter sweater because he thinks that is what Sandy wants. And Sandy shows up dressed in these! These leather pants! Because women are stupid when it comes to their love of men and will compromise all their beliefs and morals to win the men of their dreams. Darcy said, "Huh?" But she tried them on anyway.

The pants were $2.97 and the shirt was $4.97. We bought some fake nails and some hoop earrings (again in the clearance bin) and she paired that with her black heeled shoes. Madison and her friend worked on the hair and make-up to "send your eleven year old daughter to a kid's birthday party dressed as a tramp" - Kelly E.

I thought she looked fantastic.

2 comments:

K Anne said...

Let's be clear. I feel the same way about the end of the movie that you apparently do. but you got the quote wrong. I never used the word tramp. I said, "so you are going to send your daughter to a birthday party dressed as a slut." Let's be accurate. And yes, she did look great. I could have done without the faux cigarette but otherwise...

Susan said...

Whoa...Is that Olivia Newton-John? Darcy looks great...(minus the cigarette) LOL sounds like a fun party!