Sunday, April 10, 2011

Flat Ewan

A million years ago my teacher friend, Sharon G. invited us to her classroom on a weekend to help her feed the chicks she and her students were raising.  She thought my little ones would enjoy the little critters, and while the three of them were oohing and ahhing over the fuzzy peeps, I walked around her classroom reading thing tacked on the wall.  On one wall were cut out pictures of a short haired gingerbread like kid named Stanley.  Next to each picture was lined paper detailing adventures this youngster had gone on with people from around the world.  Attached on the wall amongst all these pictures and papers was the book, Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown.

I had never heard of the book and so I quickly peered through it.  Apparently the little tike was flattened by a bulletin board and then mailed to a friend.  Sharon explained that another teacher had come up with the idea of having students who were reading the book mail their Stanley to others around the world who would then take pictures and write about their adventures with the little guy.  I thought it quite interesting, but alas, my children never read or participated in a Flat Stanley project.

Four years ago a big envelope arrived from my niece, Gabby..  Inside was a female gingerbread like character with hoop earrings named Flat Stella.  We were to take Flat Stella on adventures, write about the area and the adventures she went on, and mail her and the journal back to Gabby's school.  Excited I set about planning Stella's adventures here in Florida, but each time we left on an excursion we forgot to bring Stella.  Eventually she ended up forgotten on a desk until I found her about two days before she was to be sent back to Indiana.

Frantically I set about writing some journal entries and snapping some photos of Flat Stella and her adventures in Florida.  I actually made, colored, cut, and attached a swim suit for Stella so that she could lounge by our pool.  My husband attached her to a kite and flew her up in the air over our neighborhood.  We photographed her at the beach.  I'm sure the envelope got to Gabby's school several days late, but the class enjoyed Flat Stella's adventures nonetheless.  I, however, was worn out and thankful that was the end of it all.

Three years later another envelope appeared in the mail from my niece, Olivia.  The envelope was addressed to Darcy and inside was Flat Stanley.  She had five days to complete Stanley's adventures, and despite my niece calling Darcy and making sure Darcy was onboard, Darcy did not do anything with Stanley.  When I realized this I made Stanley a part of our Spring Break adventures.  I wrote about it all here.  Unfortunately, despite completing the project and blogging it, I never mailed Stanley or his journal back to the classroom.  He lay in an envelope on my desk for several months until finally, after my sister-in-law shamed me with telling me how Olivia was the only one in her class without a return Stanley, I said good-bye to Flat Stanley.

On Monday I received an email from my cousin who told me that her son's preschool class was doing the Flat Stanley project and would I be willing to participate.  Darcy excitedly said absolutely she would help out her little cousin Ewan.  I emailed back my cousin and told her this,  telling her to send Flat Ewan at her own risk and reminding her of how late I am with all birthday cards and gifts (sorry Joey and Gabby....it's coming, I promise).

I gave Darcy a lecture and told her that I would help her, but that if we were to take on this responsibility we had to be serious about it and absolutely get it done at least five days before the deadline.  This was our third chance of actually doing this damn thing and by golly third time would be a charm!  We would finally accomplish this project by golly!

Thursday evening after returning from Kelly's house from our walk and dinner we found a familiar envelope addressed to our family.  Darcy and I took a deep breath, gave ourselves a pep talk, and opened up the envelope to meet Flat Ewan.

Imagine our horror when we pulled out Flat Ewan in A PLASTIC BAG!  A plastic bag?  What kind of preschool is this where they put people in a plastic bag?  I mean seriously, being mailed in an envelope is bad enough, but suffocating a kid in a plastic ziplock bag?  It was too much for us.  I quickly opened the bag, pulled out poor Flat Ewan, and passed him to Darcy who immediately began CPR.

Lucky for Flat Ewan that Darcy was able to bring him back.  He was quite happy to be out of the plastic bag, but it was then we noticed in the process of being stamped and delivered HE HAD LOST AN EYE!

It didn't stop Flat Ewan from smiling, however.  He was quite the cheery fellow, despite his handicap and horrible plastic bag experience, and he was determined to embrace Florida and its warmer weather. 

Madison felt that she could help out Flat Ewan, despite her insistence that she had no interest in pursuing a career in ophthalmology (a push her mother had tried to give).  She took Flat Ewan and immediately began surgery on his eye.  A half an hour later Flat Ewan was as good as new, seeing 20/20 with a slight correction.

The next morning he arose early and since the girls were in school all day I took him to purchase a swim suit and we spent the day lounging poolside and introducing him to the water.


Flat Ewan is looking forward to his Florida adventures, starting this weekend with Darcy.  So far so good...

No comments: