Monday, April 18, 2011

Pop, pop, pop

When I was a kid getting to share a bowl of popcorn and a coke was a big deal.  We didn't get it that often, but when we did have it while watching a movie or sporting event my mother made the popcorn.  It came out of container and not a bag.  Those of you who know me well know that I do not like fire.  Hot oil cooking on a stove is close enough to constitute fire in my book, and so I never learned how to pop popcorn on the stove.  When Orville started putting his popcorn in a bag that fit in the microwave it was like the greatest invention ever in my book.

My kids have grown up popping their own corn in the microwave.  It isn't something I purchase often, but after spending several summers with their cousin, Austin they were hooked and it was on my grocery list more frequently.  This past Thanksgiving my Auntie Marilyn and her grandchildren visited the area and rented a condo on the beach.  One late afternoon after the kids had come in from the beach Auntie Marilyn popped popcorn the "old fashioned" way.  Both of my kids were fascinated and stood over her watching.  When the family left to go home after the vacation we got the jar of popcorn.  I fully intended never to use it, but stuck it up in a cabinet thinking maybe one day I would be brave enough.

That day came on Saturday.  Madison and I rented a movie and settled on the couch to watch it.  Darcy appeared and plopped down beside us and then announced that we should pop some corn.  Unfortunately, we didn't have any popcorn except for Auntie Marilyn's left over popcorn in a jar.

Me:  "Oh!  I don't want to pop that.  I don't know how to do it.  Well, I do know how its done, but I've never done it.  I'm afraid of fire."
Madison:  "I'll pop it.  Please!  Please, can we?  I'll do it."
Me:  "Okay, okay.  You have to put oil in the pan and heat it and then put in the corn."
Madison:  "I know how to do it.  I watched Aunt Marilyn do it.  I can do it."
Darcy:  "I didn't really like that popcorn.  It's bland."
Me:  "You have to salt it Darcy.  This popcorn is way better."

We read the directions on the jar and measured out the oil and corn.  Madison heated the oil and put in the corn and then attached the lid.  We all three stood and looked at it.

Me:  "We shouldn't watch it just yet because a watched pot never boils."
Darcy:  "We aren't boiling anything.  We're popping popcorn."


The corn began popping and we watched it.  Every once in awhile I lifted the pan off the stove and shook it as I remember watching my own mother do that.  We filled the pan completely with popcorn and just about every kernel popped.  It was so exciting we did it all over again.  Then Madison got down some special popcorn buttery seasoning that Austin had purchased last visit and we sprinkled that and salt over the bowl of popcorn.



It was enjoyed by all.  And I've checked another thing off my list of "to do even though it scares me".

No comments: