Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 1 - Pittsburgh

It is hard to describe to people the feeling I got from the moment I exited the plane to join the throngs of people decked out in black and gold.  Everywhere we went there were Steelers fans.  In hats and shirts.  Carrying purses and bags.  You couldn't go anywhere without running into someone with something Steelers related on his body.  It was so incredible.

We left the airport, checked into our hotel, and then drove into the 'burgh.  I had never actually been in the city just driven around it, once when on a greyhound bus and once while driving.  This was my first trip there and it was so much more then I thought.  The city is clean and uncluttered.  The three rivers are gorgeous (and our 80 degree October weather made it that much more so) and the bridges stunning.  The people, oh, the people, were some of the friendliest and kindest people I've meet, and I'm from the Midwest.  It's like a little country of people in black and gold who understand the history, the legacy, and the importance of Steelers football.  And I felt all of that before I parked in front of Heinz Field.

We weren't the only tourists walking around the stadium taking pictures dressed in black and gold.  I think that even if you weren't a Steelers fan this stadium would still be on the list of "must see things to do" just because of the Steelers history.  Theirs is certainly a good one with heart and it is told over and over around the outside of the stadium and the inside of the stadium.






We walked around the outside and then we got to enter an area inside the stadium where the main Steelers store, The Sideline, is located.  Both sides of the stadium are blocked off and watched over by a security guard so one can only walk in and head into the store.  But I could see what was there waiting for me tomorrow and I was awed.


We made some important purchases in the store and then walked around the stadium again so that I could catch anything I might have missed.




We had lunch at Jerome Bettis' place near the stadium.  When we opened the door and walked in I thought I was back in Florida at the Steelers bar because the place was packed wall to wall with Steelers fans all in black and gold.  Every room is loaded with giant flat screened television sets on every wall and hanging from the ceilings.  Since it was Saturday each TV had a college game being broadcast and we watched LSU kick Florida's rear while we enjoyed homemade salsa and chips and Iron City beer.  Afterwards we walked down to the river and sat in real grass enjoying the sunny afternoon and the boats and people.


From there we drove across the river and rode the old cable car up the mountain and learned some of the incline's coal hoist history. 





Then we drove around the city stopping at Steelers stores and spending money to add to the Steelers room and collection.  We met a couple from Texas and I refrained from mentioning the beating his team took from Oklahoma that day despite his telling me he was sorry I was a Steelers fan.  The owner of the last shop looked at Tom's shirt and told him it was okay that he was wearing it as everyone was allowed one mistake in life.  Darcy and I tried on hats and shirts, and I even found a Steelers scrub top (which I refrained from buying).

When we returned to our hotel we showered and climbed into bed.  As Darcy turned out the lights she said, "We have a big day ahead of us and we need to get plenty of sleep.  Good Night."

1 comment:

K Anne said...

why in the world would you not buy the Steelers scrub top???????