Sunday, December 22, 2013

NFL Monday recap week 16

Steelers:

Defense -  I don't get it.  We do well.  We miss tackles.  We do well.  We allow gains.  We do well.  We let the opposition score.  We do well.  Glad we ended up with that last one.

Run, Ben, Run - I've stated this time after time.  Am I the only one that sees what a possibility this is?  He runs and oh, look, a touchdown.

Big Ben - Dislike him or not, he has had a hell of a year with little fanfare from the media.  If he hadn't messed up early in his career, he could have been one of the greats.  I'm proud of what he has done to turn his life around, and I do recognize his feats this season.

Packers - I really like this back up quarterback Matt Flynn. Yes, he made some mistakes yesterday, especially on that last read, but the Packers are in it still because of Flynn. If they make the post season, and I think they will beat the Bears next week, the question is would you stay with Flynn if Aaron Rodgers is cleared to play? While I think Rodgers isn't healing as quickly as he would like, I wonder if he is getting sweaty on the sideline watching the future. Mike Vick could help him with that one maybe. Eventually it all comes back to you. 

Post season - The media keeps telling us fans we are still in it, but to actually make the playoffs the Steelers have to win and then three other teams have to lose. I think the Dolphins make it into the AFC wild card spot. But that's what is so great about this game, there is always a possibility. 

Officiating - Each week we are getting apologies from the NFL on missed calls from the officials.  I had better see one from that botched call after the Steelers blocked the Packers punt on fourth down and clearly recovered the ball before loosing it and knocking it out of bounds.  Mike Tomlin challenged it, but oh, guess, what?  It was an unchallengeable play.  And why do we have those anyway?  If we are going to go with instant replay, shouldn't we go with instant replay all the way?  Not the best game on play calling.

Other:

NFL Pregame - Interesting piece on the Cowboys and Lions situation with last week's losses with each host weighing in on both teams, but no one said it more sternly and openly then Terry Bradshaw. He flat out said that both coaches are not head coaching material. "A coach has to control in that locker room which means he has to control those players." Right on Terry!

Peyton Manning - First of all, let me say that if you like, respect, enjoy, or are curious about Peyton Manning then run right now to the store and buy the current Sports Illustrated issue.  Manning was named Sportsman of the year by the magazine and the articles are phenomenal, especially the one written about his winning this accolade.  The first word that came to mind after reading the article was WOW.  There is, and will never be, anyone like him in the world of football.  I truly believe that.  And what a shame because the man is amazing.  Amazing.  Go read the article.  

Secondly, yesterday Manning set a record for most touchdowns in a season, bypassing Tom Brady's record of 50.  Manning threw four touchdowns to go one past Brady.  And he still has another game to play.  Of course he owned the title with 49 completed in 2004.  Brady broke that record with 50 in 2007.  "It's probably a temporary record," Manning said.  "Brady will probably break it next year."  Class act all the way.  I love him, love him, love him. No one else like him. I'm telling you. 

Jake Long - The St. Louis Rams left tackle was carted off the field with a possible ACL tear, and I wondered how it was for his dad, Howie Long, to watch that while working the televisions in the Fox studio.

Carolina Panthers - Eleven games won in a row.  Eleven. While Cam Newton looked sluggish during most of the game he got it together when he needed it to win in the last few moments of the game and put the Panthers in the playoffs. Problem with this kind of streak is it is ripe for ending. 

New England - First time I cheered for them to actually win, and boy, did they. Now that's how you clinch. They knew they had it in the bag when the Dolphins choked, but they went on the field and ass whooped the Ravens just to make sure. Can't fault them for that. 

Andrew Luck - I've decided I don't like the Indianapolis Colts. Since the whole Manning debacle I've learned more about owner Jim Irsay, and and I don't like him. Yes, I know it is a business, but there are owners out there that are class acts. Irsay isn't one of them. So I'm done cheering for the Colts. But I do like Andrew Luck, just like I liked Manning. However, that beard of his has got to go. The Steelers Brett Keisal started his "Fear da beard" campaign years ago during a Super Bowl run and now everyone is sporting one. And not everyone should be sporting one.

Da Bears - My husband has two sisters in Chicago, and I've listened for years to the comments on my love for the Steelers. Yesterday one of them texted me a thank you for the Steelers win over the Packers. My nephew, however, had inboxed me on Facebook complaining about the Steelers losing their lead. While he obviously spends time on electronic devices while watching football, I do not. And after that Patriot ass whopping that da Bears received yesterday, I'm thinking my family should be worried less about my Steelers and more on their own lousy team.  

Cardinals - Everyone better watch these sneaky little birds because they are flying under the radar. 

MVP - Now the media is homed in on who is the best of the year. Hard call this year with Peyton Manning and his record breakers, Tom Brady and his comebacks, Russell Wilson and his wins, and in my book Cam Newton and his eleven wins in a row. 

No comments: