Friday, September 26, 2014

Saturday photos via social media

Last Saturday was suppose to be a very busy day. Darcy had a major swim meet from 6:00 am to 1:00 pm. Finals were from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. While we didn't expect her to make the finals in an individual event she would be needed to participate in her medley as all relays made the finals. Her swim coach did not care that homecoming was that night because she knew Darcy's medley relay had a good chance of placing in the top eight so she was expected to return for the finals.

We live in mid county between two major cities. These cities house most of the specialty stores and malls so that I can go south or north depending on my mood. Since I had errands that involved some of these specialty stores I mapped out our Saturday. Darcy had a car pool ride that morning to the pool. I would head north later in the morning, do my shopping, pick up Darcy, have lunch and head to The Condo. It was closer to the pool then my house and we decided Darcy could have a little nap there and return to the pool at 4:00 pm. Kelly decided to join me on this Saturday adventure because fun follows me everywhere I go.

My good laid plans changed in the early morning. Darcy texted me to tell me the coach was allowing someone else to take her place in the medley relay so she did not have to return at 4:00 pm. So I texted Kelly and pushed back our time of departure. I leisurely had breakfast and coffee with my husband and read the paper. Of course, Darcy then called to tell me that her coach had changed her mind and she was once again expected to return for the finals. Since I had delayed my day, but still needed to hit those stores, I made other arrangements for Darcy and Kelly and I continued on with our original plans.

Because fun follows us we decided to Instagram (me) and SnapChat (her) our day so that our many followers friends and family could follow along and have fun with us. Of course, that then led me to add it to the list of blog entries for those who might not be as social media savvy as us.

12:00 pm - Our original departure time was an hour prior to when we actually left. I had been up early to see Darcy off to her swim meet and had had trouble returning to sleep so that when I finally did sleep I slept later. Kelly arrived at my house and we mapped out the plan again, as Kelly is hard of hearing, pays no attention to me when I speak, likes to be told several times of any plans I make. We jumped in my car and headed north.

Kelly: "I hope there is going to be some eating in our future."
Me: "I told you we were going to have lunch. We were suppose to pick up Darcy and take her to lunch."
Kelly: "Well, can we eat first? I'm starving."
Me: "Where would you like to eat?"
Kelly: "I don't care. Let's eat where you want to eat because you are pickier then I am."
Me: "That is hilarious! You are the pickiest person I know."
Kelly: "Let's eat at the first place we come to and that way neither of us can complain."
Me: "No, I don't want to do that."

I was kidding. See how fun I am? So we did. It was a sub shop in a strip mall. Kelly was a hesitant I could see, but I insisted. Neither one of us had been here before. It was small, not air conditioned, had a big grill behind the counter, and was a family owned and operated business. We ordered hot sandwiches and fries and enjoyed every bite.


1:30 pm - I had received a Bed, Bath & Beyond ad in the mail a week prior and had decided that I needed the leaf placemats that I spotted in it. I am not the decorator type, but I like to play one. I have a fall tablecloth that I put on my dining room table September through November. Because the table is prominent in my home it is the dumping place for homework, backpacks, library books, mail, etc. I have been trying to discourage that sort of thing so that I can use the table for its intended purpose when needed. To cut down on washing the tablecloth after eating I have taken to adding placemats. My fall tablecloth is white with leaves and I just knew that the leaf placemats would match perfectly.


Bed, Bath & Beyond was in the same strip mall as our sub shop so we popped over there and spent more time in there then I had intended. Kelly is a browser and that place is just ripe for people like her so I humored her and wandered around the store behind her making sure she didn't buy anything.


She didn't, but I got lots of Christmas ideas for her. I also got a few other items of importance along with the placemats.

2:30 pm - Our next stop was the Honey Baked Ham store. I have been wanting to purchase a ham for my SIS and family while she goes through her chemotherapy, but their ham store, which is around the corner from my brother's work, is only open until 3:00 pm. Knowing that my brother would not drive home at that time of the day with a ham, I decided a gift card would be the way to go. Kelly opted to stay in the car.


Where she videotaped herself whining about being left behind in a hot car. I was in and out in minutes, but to hear her tell it I was in there eating ham and planning parties. It was a funny video though. She posted it on snap chat. I'm glad no one followed her plea to call the police.

3:00 pm - I wanted to go to JoAnn Fabrics so that I could make a blanket for my SIS. I had Googled gift items for cancer patients and one of the suggestions that kept popping up was a blanket and because I am quite the seamstress I knew this was right up my alley.


My SIS wanted a pink blanket so I took photos of all the pink fabric in the store and texted them to her so she could choose as Kelly and I were arguing on the ones we wanted. We added some blue and purple fabric too and then we got cocky creative and started mixing and matching thinking we would produce blankets that were reversible. By the time we finished we had spent more time in that store then in all the stores combined. Kelly bought two different fabrics that she found in a bin that had wrapped sets of fabric for blankets. Her fabric was thrown into the bin, out of its wrapper, and she wasn't sure of the price. There were two different priced sets and the fabric cutter suggested she take the lower priced item up to the cashier. Kelly felt the fabric was from the higher priced set and being an idiot honest person she paid that price. It wasn't until later that she discovered she had mismatched sizes.


4:45 pm - We headed to The Condo to use flush toilets and check in. I like to do some shopping while I'm there and much to both of our surprise Kelly found an item she had been contemplating buying at Bed, Bath & Beyond; a grater/zester. I found a funnel and a small cutting board.

5:45 pm - On the way back home to embarrass help Darcy get ready for homecoming I stopped off at the BBQ hut that my mom loved right on the walking trail. We bought some ribs and pulled pork and got home in time to offer Darcy fashion and make-up tips.


6:45 pm - The parents and "boyfriend" arrived and we did the picture taking on the front lawn. After they all left Kelly and I went into the Steelers room and started making our blankets. Elliot thought this great fun and volunteered to help.


10:30 pm - Blankets made Kelly headed home. I had one last thing to finish before I called it a day. 


I think the day was a success in real time and in pictures.

No comments: