Thursday, September 04, 2014

10 things I found when surfing and reading


  1. Cucumbers - I read a whole article about these crispy critters in a magazine I payed WAY TOO much for on a whim at the grocery; Real Simple. I think I'm going to get a subscription I loved it so. Tips I picked up: Look for deep green skin, squeeze from end to end, and no soft spots. Store them in the crisper drawer for up to 5 days. If sliced, wrap the sliced end with a damp paper towel and store in a plastic bag.
  2. Potassium Foods - Since I have to up my own levels I discovered that bananas aren't the only foods that help me. A coup of cantaloupe or honey dew will give me over 400 milligrams of the 4,700 milligrams I should have daily as will a baked potato with skin and avocados. Lentils, green beans, pears, yogurt, and milk will help too. Whew. I was worried I would turn into a monkey if I ate as many bananas as I read I should it.
  3. Jennifer Garner - She wears sunscreen every day, no matter what the weather says. I wonder if that is the truth? She advertises this for ChooseSkinHealth.com which turned out to be a site by Neutrogena. After I moved to Florida I was told to lather up every day, which I did in my job. Then when I had kids I was told to lather them up. Which I didn't unless we were swimming. Now I tell them to do this every day. Which they don't and I don't and does Jennifer Garner?
  4. The Container Store - Thank god this store is in Tampa, a city I do not travel to unless I must to get somewhere else, because holy-I-love-storage-things-of-all-sizes. But they have a website and I could fill my entire Christmas list with stuff from here. If I ever build a house, I will use this store as my model.
  5. Kwikset Devo Bluetooth Enabled Deadbolt - You can unlock your door with your smartphone! How cool would this be? If it weren't $219 I would have all my doors equipped with it.
  6. Co-washing - My eldest does this, washing with conditioner only, and I was horrified. Now I find out it is A THING. She is feeling quite smug.
  7. College Checklist - I thought perhaps jumping on this now might save me money. I figure that in two weeks all these items will be on clearance and then I shall snatch them up! My daughter, however, isn't ready to do that. But she hasn't seen the ten page list that I have printed and waiting in the College Binder I've created.
  8. The NFL - How excited are they to be starting tonight? I've never seen such a social media blast. My instagram from them has WAY too many pictures of Seattle and Philly. I wonder if someone keeps track of how many times they post a picture from a team so not to show favoritism? Hmmm...this could be my job.
  9. Shopper bloggers - I knew they were out there, but there are tons of them when you start searching. I might have to start paying attention to some of them since my last grocery bill was $186.00. What?
  10. Iceberg Lettuce - It is pushed out of the way for the more trendy lettuce, what I call field greens. That stuff looks like it came from my yard. One of the items iceberg lettuce is good for in the article I read was BLT and I thought, "Oh, yeah, that's for dinner tonight."

No comments: