Tuesday, October 04, 2016

SAHM pie chart

So I ran across this article that had a graphic showing what SAHMs do during the day. I liked what the author, Meredith Bland said especially this line, "...because not having paid employment has always been seen as less demanding than having a job -- this despite the fact that many paid jobs require sitting all day and using little brain power." Amen sister!

Here was her pie chart:
  • 20% shopping (for everyone, but her)
  • 20% grocery shopping (for healthy food that she'll never make, but will make her feel like a responsible mother)
  • 25% laundry
  • 10% volunteering for the children's school (cutting construction paper helps keep the demons at bay)
  • 10% making appointments (for the car, pets, kids, and her PAP smear)
  • 5% cleaning her kids pee off the wall (of the local Rite-Aid)
  • 5% various household tasks, that cover the kind of minutiae that needs to be handled in order for life to keep going and are too numerous to name here
  • 5% stare out the window wondering what she's doing with her life
I laughed at it. It was all in good fun with a lot of truth, but I felt the chart need a bit of a tweak, especially for those of us now parenting teenagers.

Here is my pie chart:
  • 20% shopping (grocery, clothes, toiletries, school supplies, medications) - I've started turning on my Apple watch to get activity points I spend so much time running errands.
  • 20% cleaning/laundry - The first part of my morning (and time) is spent just in the daughter's bedroom alone. Then there is the rest of the rooms, the ceiling fans, the porches, the refrigerator, and for us, a family of swimmers, the towel loads of laundry.
  • 20% transportation/running errands - Sometimes I literally fall out of the van when I get back home because my body parts are asleep from the inactivity of sitting in the driver's seat driving from one activity to another to another to another.
  • 20% cooking - making dinners, packing lunches, making sure the kids get a decent, healthy breakfast. 
  • 15% volunteering for school and activities - I recently just helped score my first swim meet, and it involved math, not my strong suit.
  • 10% listening - I'm lucky that my kids want to talk to their mother so I try very hard to stop what I'm doing and take that time 
  • 5% cleaning dog hair off of the floor, furniture, food, etc. (My kids never peed on walls, although they did lose bodily functions on the floor, and that did occur outside the house)
  • 5% making appointments and waiting around for appointments - In the last month I've waited and been at home for the AC repair guy, the inspector, and the electric auditor.
  • 5% staring at myself in the mirror wondering what I'm going to do in a year when my kids are off on their own
And yes, I'm aware that the numbers don't add up (despite my math ability), but being a SAHM (and motherhood in general) is giving and doing way more than 100%. (Drop the mic)

No comments: