Saturday, October 12, 2019

Gotta love Halloween time

We have two cars and three drivers currently. Madison needs a vehicle, but after my experience with my friend, the thought of car shopping makes me break out in hives. Now, Madison is working at a variety of jobs. Some days she takes her father to work and drives his car all day. Other days she takes mine. It's worked out well.

Until a light came on flashing in my van.

The same light that came on here. When Madison, who'd driven to the Tampa airport to meet her sister, called me to tell me the scoop, I told her exactly what my relatives told me.

Me: "It'll be fine."

Of course, then I proceed to freak out, at which point Madison told me to chill. She'd stay off the interstate and would take back roads, and everything would be fine. I didn't believe her, but it was football Sunday, and frankly, I didn't have time to worry about her when I had other things more important.

That's a joke.

Sort of.

She made it home and told us the car was very shaky. She and her father drove it to pick up dinner, and he came in and told me to take it to Goodyear the next day.

Me: "And then, I'll walk home from there?"

Him: "It's only 1.5 miles."

Me: "That can't be right. It's way farther than a mile and a half."

Him: "I've done it many times. 1.5 miles."

Me: "It's times like these, where I really miss my father."

The next morning, one minute before he had to leave for work, he hemmed and hawed about how he could've brought me home if I was ready to go right now. Even though Goodyear wasn't open yet. Having been married to this man for twenty-five years, I'd expected this very conversation, and I told him I'd walk the 1.5 miles. Having been married to me for twenty-five years, he knew I was full of shit, and he headed off to work.

I got dressed and took the car to Goodyear. Then I went into the waiting room to make some phone calls to my small entourage of friends for a ride. As I rounded the corner, I saw what my first SnapChat of the day would be:


Me: "Whoa. I hope this isn't an indication of how long one waits for one's car."

That earned me a chuckle from the man and the woman in the waiting room. Who didn't have to wait long before their cars where finished. I, however, sat for an hour before I found someone--my neighbor--to save me from a 1.5 5 mile hike.

Five hours and $900 later, my friend took me back to Goodyear to pick up my van. I think that was the deciding factor for him in buying his new car.

Me: "That's what you're going to look like if you keep procrastinating over a color. It's a sign."

Him: "Just get in your van and be glad you have a Yuber driver."

Maddy needs a car. Stat.



No comments: