Wednesday, October 09, 2019

No, I won't look at anymore cars

A friend of mine has been car shopping. For weeks.

He knows what make and model. He's wheedled the price down to a satisfactory price because the dealer screwed him in his last car repair. There will be no bells and whistles. He wants the basics, and he is set in his way.

The only thing he's hooked up on is the color. 

Every time we're together, he's pointing out cars.

Him: "See that red one? What do you think about that? See that blue? No, that blue one there. Right there. I don't like that color. Ah, there's the color I want. Why can't they have that color?"

He is not computer literate. He prefers the old way of life--to a point--and when the dealership told him they no longer offered catalogs with exterior and interior choices, I printed that information for him. He zoomed right in on what he wanted. The toasted walnut color.

The dealership didn't have it. Nor did any other dealership within fifty miles. Back he went to pointing out cars.

Him: "See, that red one right there? I wouldn't want that red."

Me: "But that isn't the red color in the car you're looking at."

Him: "No, it's more like that red one right there. See that one? No, turn around. Three cars back. That red car right there."

In the exterior, he refused to consider white or black because the darker shade was too hot and the lighter too dull. He didn't like blue, and green was an off shade. He was okay with the red but, shrug, why couldn't they have the toasted walnut?

In the interior, he wanted light and not dark. I turned to the computer and we spent an hour looking at other dealerships. If they had the red, it was with a black interior. We spent another two hours looking at used cars online. I found several vehicles in silver.

Him: "I don't want silver."

Me: "Then wait for the 2020 models and pick the exact damn color car inside and out that you want. Pay the extra money because, seriously, I'm not going to listen to you go on and on about having to settle."

Yesterday, I arrived at our weekly breakfast meeting. His truck wasn't there, and immediately I ran scenarios in my head of what had happened to him because I always go to the absolute worst. AS I walked from the parking lot, worrying, it hit me. I looked where he usually parks, and there was a new car. The new SILVER car. 

Him: "When the sun hits it just right, it looks purple. Look, over there. See that silver car? See how when the sun hits it..."

No comments: