Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Football Recap


When the Pittsburgh Steelers' game schedule was announced and Tampa was a visit, my Steelers watching buddy, Scott, took charge of getting tickets for about twenty-five us Steelers fans.  My whole family opted to go despite the knowledge that the heat index would be over one hundred.  It would be my first ever NFL game.  (Tom and I went once to a Tampa Bay Bucs preseason game, but I don't count that as the first stringers only played a few minutes.)

Good thing I had tickets to the game as it was blocked from television due to low ticket sales.  As we traveled the entrance to Raymond James Stadium there were five Steelers fans to every Buccaneers fan.  The sidewalks were awash in black and gold and Terrible Towels were waving in the hot, humid Tampa air.


First expense:  $25 to park a mile from the stadium in a field.  We found shade next to a tree and tailgated a few minutes to eat some lunch.  We hiked to the stadium and then stood in line to be frisked, boys in one line, girls in another.  My handler glanced into my purse, tested the weight of it from the bottom, felt around under and over my arms and passed me through the gates.  I've had better security checks at Disney World!

We then hiked up into the "projects" which is where Scott described our seating.  In reality we were three rows from the top of the stadium, but the view was incredible.  I could see the entire field and the players weren't as small as ants as I worried they might look.  I also had a wonderful view of Tampa Bay, including the Yankees training field. (Boo Yankees!)


I missed the introduction of the players as we were still maneuvering the crowd to get to our seats, but the roar for the Steelers was much greater then that for the Bucs.  I read the next day that was due to coach, Mike Tomlin leading the players out of the tunnel, fists pumping in the air.  As a former Bucs assistant coach and a good friend of Raheem Morris, he was ready to kick some Buccaneer butt, and since over half of the stadium was filled with Pittsburgh Steelers fans it was a great moment.


I made it in time for the opening kick-off and I felt like a little girl seeing her favorite celebrity.  There was Troy Polamalu (whom I photographed the most), Larry Foote (who had tackle after tackle in the 4th quarter), James Harrison (who our buddy, Grandpa Bob, said he wouldn't want to meet in a library, let alone a dark alley), Heath Miller (whose name is one giant roar when he touches the ball), and finally! Charlie Batch (who played like I knew he could as a leader). 


Although we got the ball first, Charlie threw an interception and the defense came out on the field, holding the Bucs to a field goal.  From then on it was Steeler ball.  Charlie got his act together, the run couldn't be stopped, the defense showed the curtain was back, and we just scored over and over and over.


Second expense:  $4.50 for a bottle of water.  I never left my seat.  The sun beat down on us fans clad in black and sweat trickled down from my head to my toes, but I didn't care.  I chugged my bottle of water and just wiped my brow with the complimentary Buccaneer towel given at the gate to offset the Terrible Towels.  My eyes never left the field.  I soaked it all in.


From the action during the game to the action during a time out, I took it all in.  I always thought watching it on television that I got so much more, but I was wrong.  You miss so much by viewing it on TV then by being there in person.  I could keep my eyes on Troy Polamalu at all times watching him watch the Bucs huddle or watching Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman's eyes.  It was amazing to see him cross one side of the field to the other side to make a tackle live instead of watching it on TV replay.  He is certainly an intense and intelligent player and a joy to watch.  The man knows his job.


Third & final expenses:  $6.00 for bottomless cola and $4.25 for cotton candy.  One of the interesting things that happened was during a time out.  I'm not sure what I thought happened during TV time-outs, but I never pictured that they stayed on the field.  They do.  Water is brought out to them in gatorade bottles and squirted into their mouths.  Some of the players huddle up.  Some of them eye the opposing huddle.  Toward the end, with the Steelers defensive second string in the game the Bucaneers were on the goal line at 4th and 1.  The Steelers had stopped them on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1.  Time out was called and the Steelers stayed on the line while the Buccaneers huddled up.  Out came the cheerleaders to do a routine, butt up against the Steeler defensive.


Many of the fans booed.  I thought it quite cheeky, but then I don't know cheerleading protocol.  Still I'm thinking the head cheerleader might have used better common sense.  Surely they know football?  The Steelers don't have cheerleaders so the players are pretty use to having the field.


The best happening in the game came near the end.  Troy was out and hanging on the sidelines.  Freeman was under pressure and threw the ball toward the sidelines and Troy caught it.  The stadium of Steelers fans erupted.  Even out of the game Troy is still catching the ball!  Hilarious!  Even he was laughing.


A great Sunday for me.  Now I'm working toward flying to Heinz field for a game!  Go Steelers!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Wow! How awesome! I'm so happy for you!! As much as you love them, you should fly everywhere to watch them LIVE :))))