Tuesday, June 26, 2012

5 quick things

  1. We are currently on our third day of rain, wind, and darkness.  Tropical Storm Debby came through our area and battered us with all of the above all day on Sunday.  Yesterday we saw the sun for spurts, and although we hardly got rain, we were treated to very gusty winds.  My neighborhood has been lucky with us all keeping our power and minimal wind damage.  Darcy went out in the yard yesterday and picked up most of the sticks that had fallen from our huge oak tree.  By the end of the evening it looked like she hadn't touched it.  She also trekked down to the beach to explore the waves, but the lifeguards were keeping everyone out of the surf because the currents were too strong.  They could wade and she said she and her friend caught a close wave that pushed them all the way to their chair before the lifeguard caught them.  I was hesitant about letting her go in the first place, but my friend went to Clearwater where there were guards.
  2. For the past few weeks of summer we have been lazy.  Not much has happened and we haven't done anything since our jaunt to Orlando.  Both girls were sick for several days and then tired.  We stayed up late and slept late.  This week, however, we are loaded with activities.  Both girls have camp days and Madison is finally doing her volunteer work for school.  We have had to rise and shine early and for some reason I'm doing so with vim and vigor. 
  3. No luck on finding the travel log notebook.  I have searched and searched and cleaned out a closet looking for the thing.  While I did find my missing Wii Fit DVD in the messy closet the notebook is gone.  I'm sure I tossed it, which is really unlike me when it comes to that sort of item, but I'm giving up.  Instead I have made a new book and labeled it accordingly in black sharpie across the front.  Kelly and I have outlawed electronics during the car rides throughout the Indiana countryside so we expect the girls to contribute to the notebook.
  4. Yesterday after our grocery excursion I went into my pantry to put things away and discovered I had an infestation of weevils that were in my pasta, cereal, cookies, pancake mix, etc.  The girls and I had to remove all the items in the pantry and clean it out.  Of course, Madison began checking dates on the canned goods and before long we had four bags of trash to add to our newly emptied garbage can.  I have to say though that my pantry has never looked better.  If I want to keep it this way then I can't buy any more food.
  5. My vacation is fast approaching and I'm already dreading returning home.  The problem with vacationing in July is that it leaves very little time for "summer" when you return.  I've been on the girls to get their summer homework done to no avail so I know that we will return from vacation and run around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to buy supplies, get homework done, etc.  I'll need a vacation after all of that.

No comments: