Friday, June 22, 2012

From someone else's babe's mouth

We were in the grocery store taking Connie on her weekly shopping spree.  I sit in the front of the store while Madison follows behind Connie in the motorized scooter helping her feel tomatoes and hauling in her weekly cranberry stash.  After about forty minutes I thought I should go and find them so I wandered to the frozen section of the store thinking it about time they were in the last aisle.  The last time I searched for Connie I could see her at the end of the aisle wheeling toward the next aisle so I went down that aisle, but by the time I got to the next aisle she was wheeling down another one and she was always an aisle ahead of me.  It was a comical search. 

This time, however, I found Madison at the end of an aisle and signaling to her that I was coming.  She pointed to the milk section where Connie was having her read out the dates of the 2 %.  They got the right milk and proceeded down the dairy aisle.  I was behind the two of them and we had to pass by a cart with a baby in one of those infant seats that sits on top of the cart.  The baby was very wide eyed and so I stopped a moment to goo goo gah gah with her.  Her mother was with a smaller toddler off to the right picking out yogurt.  The toddler was being very helpful holding a couple of yogurts in her hand and her mother told her to go put them in the cart.  The girl approached the cart with the baby, started to put the yogurt in the back, and saw me smiling at the baby on the other side of the cart.  She hesitated and came around to peer at the baby, the yogurt still in her hands.  She squinted up at the baby as I passed by, and then I watched as she went back to her mother and asked, "Mom.  Is that our baby right there?"

I thought that very funny and giggled.  I know my presence there threw her off, but I couldn't resist tossing back, "Because really they all look the same" to the mother who was rolling her eyes and telling her daughter that yes that was their baby.  The girl went back to the baby and the cart and dropped the yogurt in the back, but she kept peering at the baby as if she weren't sure she had the right one.  Adorable.

No comments: