Monday, June 04, 2012

Unicorns, dirt and shovels, oh my

About three weeks ago my husband dug up a small section of our front yard; the area between our house and our neighbors, behind our mailbox.  He sectioned it off in a rectangle with string and left the shovel sticking out of the mound of sandy dirt that is Florida's soil.  Elliot spent three days barking and growling at the shovel, intruder that it was, before Tom put it away.  The section of dug up yard he ignored.  For weeks.

Me:  "Exactly what is it that you are doing out there in the yard?"
Tom:  "Burying a horse."

The mound of dirt welcomed me home each day as I pulled into my driveway.  My next door neighbor asked me what Tom had planned.  The neighbor across the street asked me what we were doing.  The neighbor catty corner to our house asked me what the hell we were doing.  I told them all what I knew.

Me:  "Tom is burying a horse."
Sid:  "A horse?"
Me:  "That's what he told me when I asked, but seriously, I think that area is too big for a horse."
Sid:  "I bet it's a unicorn and that's why he needs the extra space."

At some point a jacaranda tree was mentioned.  The girls and I voted for that as we love the purple blooming trees.  But nothing came of it.  Finally this past weekend I drove into my driveway to find assorted plants and flowers strewn over the lawn.  Tom spent two days working in the hot sun and the pouring down rain to finish his masterpiece.


While it is oddly just a random landscaped area in our yard, I have to admit it is a more welcome to the house then the mound of dirt and shovel.  Plus the fact that a unicorn is under all of that mulch makes me feel like we are protected by sparkly magic.


No comments: