Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas 2014

Mr. S. Fronicllo's Christmas village for his grandchildren
For some reason I neglected to take many photos of us on Christmas morning. I think the loss of a camera is the reason for that. Note to self: Bring a camera with me on summer trip to Europe. This was the first Christmas that I didn't feel a weight on my chest, and of course, that made me feel guilty. I am working on forgiving myself for the guilt that I feel and seeing the movies Into the Woods and Wish I Were Here have surprisingly helped me. I missed my mother, especially when my SIL called me from her Ipad, which came across to me as a call from Mommy Connie. I didn't miss the worry of getting her ready, down the stairs, and to my house. I did miss her joy of finding the orange in the bottom of her stocking, her milk gravy, and her hugs.

My MIL's mantel decorations
Years ago when my MIL and FIL were planning to move to a smaller house I asked if I could have their dining room table and chairs. My FIL gave it to me with the promise to host holiday celebrations at my house because he didn't want my MIL to have to do all that work any more. I agreed, somewhat reluctantly as I'm not a hostess or a great cook, but I hadn't yet fulfilled that promise. My MIL likes cooking and hostessing and when my FIL died before the move to the smaller house she waved aside that promise and continued to have us at her place. This year I stood up and told her I would have Christmas and we so 15 family members came to celebrate around the dining room table.
Table #1 - Our dining room table

Table #2 -  "The Kid's Table"
I asked Kelly if she would cook the meat and she agreed. We decided on a beef roast, green beans, salad, mashed potatoes, and rolls. I assigned appetizers to one SIL and dessert to the other SIL. Madison and I set the table with the china that I never use, but both girls rolled their eyes at the "old" silver and opted instead for my holiday set of flatware. Next year I think I will make them polish the silver as I had to do in my youth.

Table # 1 


Table # 2

It was a Merry Christmas spent with family and I hope everyone had such a wonderful holiday.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Looks like a beautiful Christmas. Have a great 2015!