Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Elf on the Shelf


Several years ago I saw the Elf on the Shelf in some store. I thought my kids were probably too old for it so I called my friend and told her I was getting it for her boys. She already had it and so I didn't get it for anyone. Each year I would hear all the stories and see all of the pictures of everyone that had the elf. This year I decided I was going to get the elf. While in Indiana shopping with my SIL we found some elves. They weren't THE elf, but cute imitations and so my SIL bought one, but the other two left had disfigurements and I passed on buying one. Besides I really wanted the book so that I could read how this thing was suppose to work.

Target had the books with the elf on sale and when I went to get one there was only one left. I thought that a sign. The kids gave each other the eye when I picked them up from school, but Darcy gamely got out the book and read it aloud. At the end of the story, which is in a nutshell; elf comes from north pole to watch boys and girls for Santa, leaves every night to report back to the big guy, comes back into the house and finds a different place in the house to watch, listen, and gain intel. The first thing you are suppose to do is name your elf. We went through various names until we all agreed on Rosie. Our elf stated it was a girl on the box and she had pierced ears with earrings. Darcy wrote her name and the date in the book like it asked. We were committed.


We are never sure when we wake up in the morning where we will find Rosie. She has ventured into every room thus far to keep an eye on all of us. One morning she was in the bathroom which I thought a tad extreme, but I suppose kids can do a lot of naughtiness in that room. Sometimes I take pictures of her in her hiding places. We are forbidden to touch her, according to the book, because it could make her lose the magic that allows her to fly back to Santa each night and return so we leave her be. The book says we are allowed to talk to her and tell her things, but she is not allowed to talk back to us. Her job is to listen and watch. Much like Homeland Security in your home.


The elf is very big on social media. There are all sorts of pictures of elves in various hiding places, and some of the elves are not doing their jobs correctly according to the book. Some of these elves are sneaking into food, shaving, and toilet papering the house. Now I'm not privy to Santa's wishes, but something tells me that if he expects the children of the house to behave then he expects the same of the elves that work for him. Rosie is very well behaved and Santa should make her Employee of the Month if you ask me.

Everyone has gotten in on finding Rosie every morning. Tom has enjoyed her as much as the girls, maybe more so. He certainly has been on his best behavior. On Christmas Eve Rosie will fly back to the North Pole and stay with her family and Santa. She won't return again until Thanksgiving where she will resume her job again with our family. Not a bad gig to have; one month of hard labor and travel and eleven months off. Of course, I'm not really into cold weather so those eleven months at the North Pole are probably harsh, but then again I'm not an elf so maybe it isn't all that terrible. No matter. Rosie is now a part of our family and we look forward to her return.

Madison actually stood here and asked, "Has anyone found Rosie yet today?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rosie isn't off for 11 months....she is working...building the toys that Santa will deliver on Christmas Eve! -Jaimee