Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

In preparation for writing my Thanksgiving post, I read last year's entry. It was a good one, and it said everything I would've said this year. Of course, it did. This is why I had gone to it in the first place because something told me as I wrote inside my head that I'd said the same thing every year. But then again, it is the same almost every year, isn't it?

Work and work and work in the kitchen preparing the turkey and all that jazz to devour it in twenty minutes? The same damn thing every year.

So, a quick recap of past Thanksgiving entries:

  1. It's not my favorite holiday. 
  2. I don't care for turkey that much. 
  3. I definitely don't care for the preparation, cleaning the house, chopping food, standing, setting the table with dishes that must be hand-washed.
  4. I enjoyed the holiday as a kid and love the traditions of the holiday. 
  5. I like being with family and friends. 
  6. I love football.

And this Thanksgiving:

  1. I'm thankful. I try to be all year long, but today I spent extra time on the who, what, where, and why of being thankful.
  2. I won't have to eat turkey because my only job is to bring Honey Baked Ham. I'll eat ham. Delicious Honey Baked Ham. It costs a fortune, but that's okay because it is worth every penny, and I'll make a split pea soup with the bone.
  3. Hubby made breakfast. I didn't even make my bed. No other prep necessary because my SIL hosted and didn't require a thing from me but the Honey Baked Ham.
  4. I'm no longer a kid, and the traditions of that time are nil because the older generation who saw that they continued, is now dead. Instead, the next generation began new traditions, and this year my hubby and daughter kept one of theirs by running the Turkey Trot. Then we watched the Macy's Day Parade, one of Tom's traditions, and we did it via Facetime with Madison who couldn't make it home from college. After that, I watched the Westminister Dog Show--a tradition started by my friend Kelly. I watched the last fifteen minutes. The dog I wanted to win did not. Traditions completed. Check.
  5. I'm looking forward to spending time with my niece. She makes me laugh. Hopefully, I'll see my friends tomorrow. 
  6. I'm watching football. Right now. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Thanks for reading about my nutty life. I'm thankful for all 12 of you! 

No comments: