Friday, November 02, 2018

Halloween 2018

Holidays are vastly different now that I'm an empty nester. This Halloween I didn't even decorate until two weeks prior, and that was only because I forced myself not to be a Halloween Scrooge, and then it was only minimum. A couple of scarecrows and pumpkins inside and out. Mostly stuff that will count towards Thanksgiving too. It's my new thing.

What's the point if the kids aren't here?


Every holiday I now reminisce. Remember when? It's probably not a thing I should do because it doesn't leave me feeling gooey and nostalgic but leaves me longing for something I've already had. Then I feel guilty. Thus the reason I backed the car out of the garage and took down the Halloween boxes. Suck it up, buttercup.



My Steelers buddy's wife insists on keeping the traditions, but then again, she still has one at home and another who pops in every Sunday to watch the game. She bought two pumpkins and forced them to carve them even though the girls rolled their eyes and muttered under their breaths. I watched for a while before heading home. It made me glad that I'd decorated my home.


Last year I didn't buy candy, but we took our adopted children (kids that belong to my friend SueG but who we borrow from time to time) trick or treating through our neighborhood. I was rebelling against the previous Halloween, where I was robbed while checking out the neighbor's haunted yard.

This Halloween, after deciding to embrace my empty-nest of a holiday, I purchased candy the day of and then invited my adopted children once again. They didn't want to trick or treat but wanted to help pass out candy, and since their mother was at work and their dad out of town, they came willingly.



I only had six groups of three to four children trick or treat. I sat outside alone while my new neighbors sat on their own driveways--missed the Halloweens of the past where my old neighbors gathered in my driveway with cocktails and food. I read a book waiting for trick or treaters.

One of the adopted brought a mask, and the other wore a skeleton shirt. My husband invited them to walk the neighborhood to check out the decorations and the action. He insisted on bringing a bag "just in case." They were gone for two hours and returned with a massive stash of candy. They divided it with big smiles. They told people they were dressed as The Big Disappointment and The Letdown. I think the neighbors were happy to get rid of their candy. We didn't have much action. The neighbors are growing up too.

We ended the night doing our own thing while overeating candy. Holiday Empty Nesting sucks.

No comments: