Saturday, November 03, 2018

Voting 2018


.In Florida, we have early voting, so we can go days before the polls open to cast our ballots. I've never done this because I like the whole pomp and circumstance of voting day. My husband mails his ballot, and so he votes months before November, filling in his little bubbles at home during breakfast. Madison voted by mail this year since she's out of the state, and she researched and cast hers a week or so ago. It was her first vote because she never got around to it last year.

We blame her for the state of our country right now.

This year we kept reminding her about voting. Then I realized that this was also Darcy's chance to vote. She's a registered voter, and since she didn't sign up for the mail-in ballot, she decided to come home to vote early. I went along so that I had something to blog and to witness another milestone in my daughter's life.



It was a stormy day. An ugly tornado blew through with rain, thunder, and wind about twenty minutes after Darcy arrived home. We waited out the storm in Madison's room, which has now become the "storm room" seeing as it's in the middle of the hallway between two concrete walls. Darcy had a friend with her, so we talked and comforted the dog until the tornado passed. Then we loaded into the car.

I was happy to see that despite the storm, voter turnout was busy. Every volunteer was active with a voter, and we had to wait in line. I don't think I've ever waited in line on the day of voting.

Tom: "After what happened last time, every Floridian should be out voting."


I insisted on taking pictures of my kid, and this made her nervous. She had studied up on the amendments the night before but wasn't up to date on the candidates. She wanted to know if I'd brought my "cheat sheet," a sample ballot that is mailed to us every year that I fill out and carry to the polls. I assured her I had. She worried she'd get in trouble if she used her phone.

I've always brought my children with me when I've voted. They've watched the process and understood the importance. They've voted in school elections on voting day, and they've always taken a sticker when we left the polls. This year they gave out "Future Voter" stickers, and it made me nostalgic. It just annoyed Darcy.

Darcy: "Oh, sure now, they give out those!"


We voted side by side. I didn't cry, but I did feel a bit weepy. Full circle again in life. I'm glad I'm embracing it all now.

Get out and vote people!

Let your voice be heard whether you win or not.

The fact that we have this right is enormous.

Take your kids and start them early.

Register them when they come of age.

Vote! Vote! Vote!

Tuesday is election day.

Our family has voted. Has yours?

No comments: