Friday, March 18, 2011

The Foot God can speak

On Tuesday Darcy had an appointment to receive her new orthotics.  I mentioned this to nurse Michele when at the Foot God's office on Monday.  It is a standard joke now that I live at these facilities.  There are two of them; one by Connie's house and one by my house.  On Mondays we go to the office by Connie's house, thirty minutes from my house, but on Tuesday I went to the one by my house.  The Foot God is at that facility on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It is like his very own clinic and he had coded colors that the girls wear on each of these days.  He, of course, being the Foot God doesn't have to abide by these rules and wears greenish scrubs.

We got there and the waiting room was quite full.  We waited a full thirty minutes before nurse Michele came out and called Darcy's name.  When she saw me her face lit up and she said she had forgotten I would be coming in.  I forgave her for that mistake and we went into the exam room with a large table and chair for trying on orthotics.  Darcy had not been in this room before (I had been with Madison) and so she had to play Goldilocks and sit on and in everything trying to decide which fit her best while nurse Michele worked on the new orthotics.

While this was all happening nurse Kelly wandered by the open door, saw me, stopped and came in to say hello.  They love me.  Connie and I bring in much needed stress relieving laughter with our antics.  We have changed that office.  I know this because suddenly behind me in the open door stood the Foot God.  And he spoke first!  "Can't stay away huh?"

The Foot God is adorable.  He has the best smile that crinkles his entire face and his voice is a scratchy, sexy, just woke up in the morning tone.  When I first met the man in the hospital he never smiled.  He never spoke more then three sentences.  I thought him quite bland and a tad pompous.  Then one day as he went to leave Connie's hospital room he pulled open her door only to be hit in the head by the lid to the isolation box that hung on her door.  The isolation box housed all the gowns, masks, and gloves and each person had to dress in this gear before entering Connie's room.  The problem was that to close the lid one had to pull back a lever and gentle close the lid, releasing the lever.  The Foot God would come up too the door, open the box, dress in the gown and gloves, and then he would slam shut the lid.  Only the lid would not shut that way.  So when he pulled open the door to the room, the lid smacked him square in his bald head which was at the same height as the isolation box.  I saw the whole thing and immediately had to stifle the loud laugh that was threatening to erupt.  The Foot God staggered back, closing the door as he did.  He turned to me, his face red, and he laughed.  Loudly.  I joined in.  His eyes crinkled and his smile lit up his whole face.  And then he opened the door to leave and was smacked again as the lid swung back and repeated its earlier assault.  It was, quite frankly, hilarious.  And the fact that the Foot God knew this gave me pause that my earlier assumption might not have been right on the money, and so Connie and I have worked together to bring out his personality.  It has taken quite some time, but  I knew we had succeeded when I heard his, "Can't stay away, huh?"

He stepped into the doorway and I noticed the Shadow lurking, but standing back from the room.  I waggled my fingers at him in a friendly wave and commented on him, but beside acknowledging that yes his Shadow was with him I got nothing more on this guy.  The Foot God asked Darcy "how it was going" and when she preceded to ask him about her friend that had been in to see him more of his personality came out.  With Darcy one can't help this.  I left him to his own devices for awhile before stepping in to rescue him, but he did remember the patient, and I let him know I was referring people to him...besides my own family.

He didn't linger long, but it was enough.  I think he is getting the hang of it.  Perhaps by the time Connie is cured (is everyone crossing their fingers and praying?) he will be ready to go it alone.  I have high hopes.  And I'm running out of people with feet problems to send his way.

No comments: