Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mexican Night!

Ring, ring.

Me:  "Yes?"
Kelly:  "I was just wondering if you had anything you needed from me this evening.  You know, something you need me to do?"
Me:  "We need your vivacious personality and witty charm."
Kelly:  "Are you with Connie?  Those are awfully big words."
Me:  "We also need your supervisory skills in helping with the cooking of fried ice cream.  You know how I hate fire and hot oil and the possibility of fire.  You are so good at keeping those to a minimum. 
Kelly:  "Fried ice cream?  That isn't exactly something I enjoy, but since you need my help I'll be there in half an hour."

 Madison found the recipe on the Internet.  I purchased the ingredients at the grocery and sat back, far back, from any hot action and enjoyed catching up with an old friend while Madison and Gabby, with Kelly's supervision, made the fried ice cream.

They rolled the vanilla ice cream into balls.  Darcy helped with the crushing of the Frosted Flakes and then she too, so much like her mother, left the room while the cooking happened.  Madison and Gabby added sugar, cinnamon, and honey to the crushed flakes and rolled the ice cream balls in to the mixture.  They then froze the balls for a half an hour.

While the ice cream balls were freezing the two girls had a discussion regarding the type of pan that should be used to cook the oil.  I piped up and offered my two cents which was using my pasta kettle.  The one that is way, way, way deep so that any hot oil that might splatter would have to jump further to reach any hands or fingers.  When Kelly saw this pan she put it back into the cupboard and took out a sauce pan.  She cooked the oil very slowly and tested its heat periodically. 

When Kelly deemed the oil hot enough she put in the first ice cream ball and it sizzled and quickly turned brown.  Out came the ball.  Madison traded places with Kelly and fried up some of the remaining balls.  The fried balls were put on a plate where Gabby used whipped cream, honey, and chocolate syrup to pretty them up.
Delicious!

No comments: