Friday, March 25, 2011

What to think, what to think...

While being a stay-at-home-mother is a thankless rewarding job, it is a job that, when the kids are grown and off to school or sleep overs or get-togethers, one is left alone with only the thoughts in one's head.  I spend a lot of time talking aloud or just talking aloud in my head.  Here are just a few things that went through my head yesterday while cleaning:

A man had to have designed the toilet.  He had to have done this because no women would have designed a toilet with curves.  What is the point of all these curves on the underside of the toilet that no one even sees?  Curves that collect dust, dirt and grime that then have to be cleaned...by a women...who has to bend way over to even reach the stupid curves in the first place.  Are all toilets like this?  They probably aren't, but then Tom picked out this toilet and he is a man and he didn't look at these dumb curves and think, "how ridiculous".  Because he doesn't clean them! 

And then why do builders put the curved toilet in a spot right next to the shower so that when someone wants to clean the toilet she can't get her upper body between the tight fit of the toilet and shower to even clean the curvy toilet?  She has to kneel on the tiled floor to even reach the bottom of the toilet.  Because builders are men.  If I were to build a bathroom I wouldn't put the toilet here.  Where would I put the toilet?  Hmmmm...how would I have designed the layout of this bathroom?  Well, I would put the sink under the window.  Why aren't sinks under the window?  Then you would have something to look out at and enjoy.  Why are the showers under the windows?  It makes mold grow around the window and you have to make sure you have windows that are designed for no peeking.  If the sink were under the window who cares if the glass was see through?  Of course, you couldn't have a mirror, but you could put the mirror on another wall.  Okay, okay, maybe this design is the best for this particular bathroom, but know what?  I wouldn't have put the stupid bathroom here in the first place!  Yeah!  Yeah, I would have designed the entire house better so that the toilet was in a better spot.

I got this type of vacuum cleaner so that I could save money on bags.  I thought dumping out the canister would be quick and easy, but I didn't realize how filthy it would be.  Every time I want to vacuum this canister is full, and I don't know this, and I vacuum anyway, and it is a crappy job.  And then I discover it is because the canister is full of dirt and grime.  So I go to remove it and the dirt and grime falls out of the top on to the semi-cleaned floor that I just vacuumed.  And my hands are black.  And now I see that the bottom of the canister, which my husband pointed out to me catches dirt and grime, is full too.  Now I'll have to clean it too.  Oh, and look what is in here.  The filter.  And it is filthy.  Now it is all wet from cleaning it so I can't put it back together and finish vacuuming.  The vacuums with the bags are looking better to me. See what happens when I get cocky?  Who in the world designed these things?  I bet it was a man!

I don't know why I can't just stay in one room and finish cleaning it.  I'm cleaning my dining room table, but that led to me opening up the hall closet, which then led to me cleaning out the hall closet without finishing the dining table.  And at one point I wandered into my bedroom closet and what do you know?  I started cleaning it too.  Why is that?  My house looks worse then it did before I started cleaning.  I made a list.  Why didn't I just stick with that list and follow it?  It doesn't say clean out closet.  Well, it sort of does.  I mean I kind of knew that I would have to get some things down to make room for some of the stuff on the dining table.  But the bedroom closet wasn't on the list.  But it does look good.  And I got rid of a bunch of clothes I won't ever wear again.  And it freed up space so that I could go shopping.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I agree... =)

K Anne said...

they do make toilets with straight smooth sides instead of all the curvy nooks and crannies, but they are pricier.So either you spend more on the toilet in order to spend less time cleaning it OR you get the cheaper toilet and put the saved money toward a cleaning woman?