Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Morning Sports Recap

My wonderful husband made it possible for me to watch the game via the Internet so I saw my boys put a check in the W column.

Steelers:

1. Nice to see the defense working to get back on track. While we haven't pulled down the steel curtain just yet, the boys showed that they are ready to work and want to win. Shut out!

2. Troy Polamalu had a come out of nowhere from the other side of the field tackle and almost had his first interception of the year. Love when Troy is being Troy.

3. Had a deja vu moment when Big Ben decided he needed to run. Once again he ran and stopped right before he reached the end zone. Seriously? Makes me crazy! Run Ben, run.

4. How awesome was Hines Ward? He made a great catch in the first quarter and then a superior one in the third quarter reaching up and pulling down the ball on the sidelines, keeping both feet in bounds as he fell out of bounds. The announcer said, "If you can do the pasodoble you ought to be able to do that catch."

Other:

1. Sorry to hear that Brian Urlacher's mother died this past week. Never can believe that player's go out and play after something like that and despite the typical, "getting back to football helps me heal" line, I think it has to be damn hard. I couldn't believe people were out shopping at Target after my father died so watching others play football? Nah. These players should have the day off.

2. I'm not a Tom Brady fan as there is something pompous about the guy that rubs me the wrong way, but his last two games of over 400+ yards passing are hard to ignore. Of course, I feel he is out to be MVP now that Peyton Manning is out of his way, but you gotta recognize greatness.

3. And speaking of greatness...kudos to NFL rookie, Cam Newton, who Terry Bradshaw said last week wouldn't have been his first draft choice for qb, for so far proving Bradshaw wrong with his 300+ two weeks of passing. If only he and Carolina could win a game.

4. A lot of games came down to the wire this week making for great football. Better yet I watched most of them on the Internet. Yeah to the hometown Bucs for their huge win at the end! Sorry I didn't have faith in ya in the pool.

5. I don't really get the whole moving around of the college leagues. Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC. Last time I looked on the United States map Syracuse wasn't anywhere as close to Duke as they were to Connecticut. Isn't someone in charge of these things?

6. Go Rays! Go Rays! Go Rays!

7. And I know it isn't a sport, although the show was about football, but how great was it that Kyle Chandler won the Emmy for best actor in a drama series for his role as Coach Taylor in Friday Night Lights? The most well written, directed, acted, and brilliant show on television is no more, but thankfully academy viewers got something right.

No comments: