Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hines Ward - Always a Steelers

This afternoon while at the foot clinic with Connie I got the word via Twitter that Hines Ward was holding a press conference to announce his retirement.  When I finally got home to see the conference in its entirety I bawled my head off.  Here is a guy who feels he can still play the game, who received interest from other NFL teams, and realized that despite all of that he could not in good conscience put on another uniform.  "...deep down inside my love wouldn't be there," Ward said.  He absolutely could not picture himself in anything other than black and gold and so he is retiring from the game of football.  Retiring so that he can always, for the rest of his life, be a Pittsburgh Steeler.  Unbelievable.

Just wish the NFL owners, organizations, coaches, players, fans, and Roger Goodell would pay attention to the words he had to say.  This is what football is for me.  This is what football once was all about.  The lack of this type of dedication and faith is why there was a lock out this past year.  Yes, yes, it is a business.  But who is to say that businesses can't be run with this type of loyalty?

Congratulations and thanks to Hines Ward for his decision, for his dedication, and for his love of the game and Steelers Nation.  I'm so thankful that I was able to see him play in person in Pittsburgh.  There is too few of him in the NFL today.


"The black and gold runs deep in me and I will remain a Steeler for life," said Ward.  Amen to that!

No comments: