Friday, March 02, 2012

Losing one of the greats

The Pittsburgh Steelers organization released wide receiver Hines Ward Wednesday negating the last two years of his contract. Ward had posted on facebook that he was willing to restructure his contract because "I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers". The Steelers never discussed restructing with Ward, instead opting to call him into the office to inform him his 14 years with the team had come to an end. While we fans knew that things weren't looking good when Ward was benched later in the year, many of us had hope that this team would allow him to retire wearing the black and gold.

The NFL is a business. I get that. But it is also an organization that wants people to believe that the players are out there every game just aching with the competitive need to get that Super Bowl win. But really the owners are about the money. What will sell the most tickets? What will help the bottom line. "We will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve." President Art Rooney II stated on the Steelers website. Translated it means, "Thanks for the memories, but someone younger is going to take over now." How can you ask players for loyalty if you don't show them the same in return?

I don't know what really went down in the Steelers offices on Wednesday, but Ward is no longer going to be suited up in black and gold. While there are many players who can't leave when it is their time, I don't believe Ward is that player just yet. I believe he has game left in him, and he has more than shown his loyalty to the team, the organization, the quarterback, and the fans not only on the field, but off it as well. How hard would it have been to give him another year if he was willing? The Tampa Bay Bucaneers did it with fan favorite Mike Alstott, and it was enough time for Alstott to realize his football career had ended. He retired with the team he was drafted into and everyone was happy.

There are many problems with the NFL, this just another example of how far apart the owners and the players are with one another. I've always believed the Steelers organization was smarter, more caring, and believers of something greater than what the NFL stands for today. I'm disappointed to find out I was wrong. I wish Hines Ward the best in whatever he pursues next, and am glad that I put him on my wall of fame in my Steelers room.

No comments: