Monday, March 05, 2012

Kerrygold garlic & herb butter is pure gold

As I have stated numerous times, I am not a chef.  When a recipe calls for something I've never heard of I throw out that recipe.  This past week while doing my weekly grocery shopping in the evening, when we were starving, we passed by our favorite lady who stands in the meat section cooking up various dishes that she then allows us to sample.  Darcy and I stood around her as she stirred chicken in an electric fryer, our mouths salivating at the delicious smell.  She told me it was quite "simple really" (She is from Scotland and has the most amazing accent) and proceeded to tell me the three ingredients; chicken cut in bit size pieces, green onions, and "Kerrygold butter".

I hadn't a clue what that meant, but since it was sitting right there I asked her, "Is this the butter?  What is it?" as it had something mixed in it.  By now another lady had joined us, and the Publix chef lady turned it for me to view and told us, "It is delicious!  But of course it is.  It's Kerrygold."  And the other lady made this gasp like, "you're shitting me...Kerrygold!  Where did you get it!"  Not wanting to appear ignorant I nodded like I knew what that meant and after sampling the chicken decided this was my Monday night's meal.  Off Darcy and I went to collect the three ingredients.

The chicken and the onions was easy.  The Kerrygold another story.  I figured it would be with the butter so I started there.  I searched and searched and searched wandering up and down the two cases in the middle of the dairy section peering into them in search of the elusive, but wonderful Kerrygold.  It took about five minutes, and I was going to send Darcy off to admit to to our lady we didn't know it, when I spied it at the end of the second case.  The problem was I was looking for a container or a package of four sticks of butter, but the Kerrygold is sold separately, and by that I mean it is sold by the stick.  And the one stick of Kerrygold garlic and herb butter cost $4.05!!  I about had a heart attack right there in the dairy section.  But not wanting to alarm any shoppers, I picked up the stick, looked at Darcy and told her this was not something we would mention to her father, and I tossed it into the cart.  Because the recipe called for Kerrygold butter.

And blogger readers I have got to tell you that this stuff is worth every penny.  OMG!  I made the chicken dish that night and my kids gobbled it up like it was a plate of brownies.  I had to stop them from getting third helpings because their father would have had none when he came home from work.  The next day I mixed it in pasta and there was nothing left for the husband.  Each day I got up I thought about what to add to my Kerrygold butter.  Eggs...

OMG! YES!  Scrambled eggs is one of the five things I make that is good, but adding Kerrygold to it made it out of this world.  I added it to our grilled ham and cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread.  OMG!  YES!  The stick only lasted 5 days in our house because I used some every day.  I had to stop myself from eating it with a fork and spoon.

The stuff is costly, but I promise you will get your money's worth of deliciousness.  I'm not sure I can make this a weekly purchase, but I'm willing to give up other things to make it happen.  If, like me, you hadn't heard of this heaven in a stick, I urge you to get out and mortgage your home to try it.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oh, and Kerrygold makers, if you should happen upon my free advertising of your wonderful, mouth watering, best tasting stuff every made, product and want to send me some freebies I would not turn you down.

2 comments:

K Anne said...

got a stick of Kerrygold in my fridge right now!

Susan said...

Oh my goodness, I NEED to get me some of this!! Sounds soooo good! If our stores do not carry this you are going to HAVE to send me some!!