Monday, September 02, 2013

Reflection time

So, August has come and gone as quickly as the rest of the summer months and now September is here, and omg in four months we will have Christmas and another year will start all over and summer will be back before I know it.  The past two weeks have flown by with the start of school and all it brings with i,t and so I thought I would take some time to reflect on things that I might have contemplated on these past two weeks.

  • 5:30 AM wake up times suck.  It is dark that early in the morning and my eyes are still glued tight from the sandman's visit because obviously I am one of his last stops for the morning.  The girls have done well with it, however, something I should be and am grateful for.  They have managed to get out to the breakfast table to consume a mama-made meal and still have time to brush their teeth before heading to the bus....in the dark.
  • The world is not organized.  We hit a snag the day of freshman orientation where we discovered that the swim team, something Darcy wanted to join, had started practices two weeks prior.  The coach had no problem with Darcy jumping in, but I did.  Why weren't we sent anything?  I questioned the coach, but her answer that she had turned in something to the office, only annoyed me more.  Two days later I'm annoyed because Madison's schedule is screwed up and the front office had known this prior to the last school year ending.  Did anyone contact us this summer so that we could take a few days to make an informed decision?  Nope.  Instead we had less then eight hours to decide something that will affect her next two years.  Am I the only one that communicates? 
  • My pet peeve is screwy.  I hate when I come to a four way stop and someone ushers me through with a wave of his hand.  YEAH, BUDDY, WELL IT WAS MY TURN ANYHOW.  Even if it isn't my turn I'm annoyed.  SERIOUSLY?  IT'S YOUR TURN, NOT MINE.  GO YOURSELF!  I came to a four way stop this past week on the way to my mother's.  Traffic heading north and south must stop in front of our bike trails.  Traffic on the trail must stop too.  I stopped and then waited for a stopped walker to make her way through.  Instead she gave me the wave to go.  She gave it to me in sort of an annoyance wave like how dare a car make her wait and shave off minutes from her walking time.  Which annoyed me.  I WAS LETTING YOU GO.  WHAT?  YOU THINK I'M WAITING FOR YOU TO GO SO I CAN HIT YOU?  That's when I figured out my pet peeve might have more to do with the "waving" portion then the taking turns part of a four way stop.  And then if that is the case, what is with that?  Problems of authority?
  • I miss swimming.  I've had some issues with numbness in my right leg the last two weeks which, after ruling out all of the horrible conditions I read about on the Internet, is most certainly a result of my DDD back problem.  I thought about exercises and which ones might work for me and then I thought I should swim laps.  I had to quite swimming some time ago due to neck problems, but perhaps I should try again. Then I went to watch Darcy at her first high school swim meet and realized I just plain miss it.  Also, her team could use my expertise, not to mention my organizational skills.
  •  Stores are outdated.  My day starts at 5:30 as I've mentioned before and will mention quite often, and my girls are out of the house by 6:20.  That means that I'm ready to get my day started, yet I can't run errands or grocery shop because nothing is open.  And nothing is open until two hours after that!  Two hours.  Two whole hours that I could be taking care of business.  This is the new age, people.  Life is happening earlier and earlier now and stores have got to get with it.  So that I can get things done and take a nap.
  • Resolutions aren't for summer.  I was gone.  I couldn't get them done while I was away from home.   Totally impossible. 
  • My girls make me proud.  Okay, that is not something new for me, but so far in these two weeks they have surpassed my expectations.  Having Darcy with her now has made Madison more willing to climb out of bed in the morning.  Having Madison with her now has made Darcy more willing to jump into her school work.  Madison is filling out forms and making calls to volunteer for her CAS hours.  Darcy is juggling daily swim practices, meets, and school work.  They are just growing up so fast.

1 comment:

Robin said...

The problem with the stores in Florida is that the state is full of old people that don't get out of bed early! Period. As far as your girls, they are great! Love and hugs to all.

P.S. Notice too that I am reading your blog all the time now...ha