Sunday, September 08, 2013

Week 1 NFL Picks

The first picks of the season are the hardest, especially for someone who ignores preseason.  Yahoo keeps my history of picks since I started playing this pool (and the one with my friend Kelly) and in checking back over my stats I'm not bad; 97%, 99%.  Why then aren't I rich?  Maybe it got me a tad cocky.  Either way here they are:
  1. Denver over Baltimore - I have to turn in my picks by noon on Wednesdays so don't think I just added this one after the fact.  I usually don't mention my Thursday night picks, but since I started off with a win in my new pick game (pick one team to win; get it right, move on, get it wrong, you're out) by choosing Denver, what the hell?
  2. New England over Buffalo - Don't think Tom Brady will lose the opener...especially now that Peyton one upped him.
  3. Cincinnati over Chicago - I just feel that the Bengals are going to be the team the Steelers have to watch out for this season.
  4. Miami over Cleveland - The Browns have talk circulating on their team, but I'm a firm believer in individuals wanting to prove things.  The Dolphins took former Steelers receiver Mike Wallace and he is just itching to show people he is great.
  5. Detroit over Minnesota - This was my one game that I hadn't a clue on.  My buddy says that when in doubt go with the home team, but that didn't even feel right to me, despite my pick.  Adrian Peterson is already talking about being greater then last year, but when you start that thing right off the bat...I don't know.  Karma I guess.
  6. Indianapolis over Oakland - Andrew Luck is itching to get back to proving he was worth the loss of Peyton Manning.  The Raiders?  Are they still playing football?
  7. New Orleans over Atlanta - I like the Falcons, but the Saints missed too much last year and they will come out with their coach back at the helm on their own turf ready to play some kick ass football.  This might just be the game to watch.
  8. New York Jets over Tampa Bay - Whew, the Bucs are taking a beating in the press here locally.  The Jets are taking a beating in the press back in New York.  I think the Bucs players not picking quarterback Josh Freeman as one of their captains doesn't bode well.  If the team isn't behind their leader there will be problems.  I think this overshadows the nonsense in the Jets locker room.
  9. Pittsburgh over Tennessee - The Steelers didn't win a preseason game.  Who cares.  They will win when it counts.
  10. Seattle over Carolina - I like my Twitter buddy Russ Wilson to come out firing.  Cam Newton?  He's old now, isn't he?
  11. Kansas City over Jacksonville - I had the Jags first and then I went back and changed it to the Chiefs.  Just had a feeling and a change of heart.
  12. St. Louis over Arizona - Another one of those could be either team games.  I went with the line on this one, but now I'm rethinking it.  Bruce Arians is now at Arizona and he can coach.  Hmmm...guess we shall see just how well.
  13. San Franscico over Green Bay - Jim Harbaugh will be one mean SOB if they lose another one and the players know this.
  14. Giants over Cowboys - I'm a Manning fan.  Plus, I'm not a Cowboy fan.  
  15. Washington over Philadelphia - Trouble during practice for the Eagles.  R.G III wanting to come out and show everyone he is healthy.  
  16. Houston over San Diego - Another one that I had to really think about.  Went with the Chargers, but changed it at the last minute.  The Texans still have that team that wins the season but messes up in the series.  The Chargers are starting over.  Going with the veterans.

No comments: