Saturday, October 25, 2014

5 things to start the weekend

  1. I'm tired of people asking me about Madison and her college applying. I have nothing to say to these people. Last week I actually had a women demand that I have her apply to Vanderbilt University because her son got a full ride there. Kudos to her kid, but my child hasn't shown an interest in Tennessee. That didn't stop this woman from shrieking at me about what she thought my child needed to do. Listen people. While I am happy to help my child when she asks for it, and occasionally throw in my two cents of schools, Carnegie Mellon University, this is something she has got to do herself. She has to pick where she wants to live the next four years of her life, not me. Although if she went to Carnegie Mellon I would visit her faithfully every time the Steelers had a home game. Promise.
  2. The Ebola crisis has got my youngest scared to death. She is not one to worry about sickness, but suddenly she is concerned that this virus is going to affect one of her loved ones. She admitted this the other day after I made plane reservations for myself for a trip to Indiana. She told me she is just terrified of having to fly to South Carolina for Thanksgiving and couldn't she just stay at home with our housedog sitter? I told her that if she learned the country that she lived in she would see that where we are traveling is only eight hours away by car and that we have opted for that option instead of spending $$$ to fly and rent a car. Whew. She was so relieved. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the virus isn't carried by airplanes.
  3. This month I have killed it on the remembering birthdays on time. I have gotten cards out on time. I have gotten gifts sent out on time. I have texted wishes on time. I am so proud of myself that I'm taking next month off.
  4. I like to organize and have helped several friends do just that. Recently I helped my friend clean and organize her kitchen. It took all day, but we reorganized her walk-in pantry, her cabinets, and her counter tops. While her husband acted as if nothing was different when he came home from work, her children couldn't stop talking about it all evening. Just wait until I do the same to their rooms this weekend.
  5. My friend sent me the video about the Potty-mouthed Princesses that the company FCKH8 made to sell T'shirts promoting feminism. The premise is that society should not be worried about little girls cursing, but instead should be fighting for gender equality. First of all, I found the video funny and powerful, but secondly, I also found it overboard and self promoting. Which it probably meant to be all of that as it is selling a product. I think the princess idea was right on, but the word itself is more powerful if used less instead of more and would have made the message stronger. But shock value gets people watching and more people watching gets the product out there for purchase. Kudos to the company though for donating $5 of every purchase to worthwhile projects. Supposedly the company has already donated over $250,000 so somewhere someone knows what they are doing.

No comments: