Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Out of the mouths of babes

I recently took on the job of picking up my friend SueG's child from the bus stop. He attends a magnet school outside his zone thus the bus stop is two and a half miles away. Her husband used to have this job, but he is working a new job and is unable to get away and SueG works the night shift, leaving before the child gets home. Depending on her schedule I pick him up two or three days a week. He is in the seventh grade, short and stocky in build, and very quiet.

Last week Darcy had her district swim meet south of here. Our school was hosting the event and so I was working it and was unable to pick up Alex. We tried to think of solutions, but in the end he had to walk the two and a half miles home carrying his thousand pound backpack that I can't even lift. It took him fifty minutes. Since I hadn't seen him since his big walk I was eager to get the low down yesterday when I picked him up.

Me: "Hey, buddy."

Alex: "Hi."

Me: "How was school?"

Alex: "Fine."

Me: "You seem tired. Are you tired?"

Alex: "Not really."

Me: "I forgot to ask you. How was the walk home last week?"

Alex: "Arduous."

Me: "Can you spell that?"

Alex: "A-r-d-u-o-u-s"

Me: "Okay, then."

No comments: