Thursday, October 16, 2014

Healthy we are not


Recently we had a Whole Foods open up in our area adjacent to our Sears mall store. Construction had been ongoing for what felt like years, and I was under the impression that Sears was just remodeling. It wasn't until I read an article in our paper that I knew it was Whole Foods. Which meant nothing to me. I pictured another grocery store, and since the area where it is located is thirty minutes from me I didn't figure it would be on my shopping list unless I was visiting the mall.

My friend and I happened to have some errands in that area last week and we decided after breakfast that we should stop in at the Whole Foods and check it out. I have been inside the Fresh Market, which happens to be down the street from this food establishment, and I thought it mimicked that store in several ways. We started at one side of the store and worked our way around the entire place before going back to things we wanted to purchase.

The store is organic. I don't think there is one thing in there that didn't come from a polished farm out in the country with fields that were sprayed with dewy fairy dust. The items were all strange brands with strange titles and the ingredients were things I had never heard of for the most part. One of the items I found in the dairy section was something I had seen in a recipe that week that I had no idea what it was let alone where to purchase it. I've written about that before, and suddenly I realized: I can buy it at Whole Foods!

I spent considerable time at the fresh food line where you could take home soups, salads, and international foods. It was buffet style with take home containers, organic not Styrofoam, and I made myself a delicious salad with vegetables and a dollop of rice salad and chicken salad. I also purchased some ginger tea and candy for my SIL, and then while standing in line to check-out I saw these juices that were BOGO.



I told my friend I was buying this for us to drink on the way home. She picked out the Chunmee Tropical and I took the Honeybush Peach. They were $3.99 a piece, but I was feeling so healthy with my salad and they were buy one, get one and I was embracing the whole organic thing and so I left the store with them in my bag.

When we got into the car I took them out and opened mine. I was parched and so I took a huge gulp to refresh my body, and then tried very hard not to spit it out all over her dashboard. It tasted like watered down apricot baby food with no seasoning. It was awful. She looked at me and asked me how it was. I told her delicious. She called me a liar and proceeded to taste hers. Immediately, she opened the door and spit it out.

Her: "Oh, my God, what the *^%$ is that crap? That is the worst thing I have ever put into my mouth."

Me: "I know, right. It is terrible. How can honey and peaches taste so nasty?"

We looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Her: "We are so not ever going to be healthy."

Me: "Not if we have to drink this stuff."

Her: "Let's go get a McDonald's iced coffee."

No comments: