Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday NFL recap - week 7

Well, on a week that looked to be a pick gimme things went south quickly. Steelers Depot tweeted, "The way this Sunday is going, the #Steelers are likely to beat the #Texans 60-2." Hmmmm....

Peyton Manning - I'll lead with the greatest because, well, he is unsurpassed in the records book now. Last night against the San Francisco 49er's Manning broke Brett Favre's record, and started adding to his own, by becoming the leader in career touchdown passes. Favre had 508 touchdowns and coming into the game Manning needed three touchdowns to take the lead. It was all anyone talked about today on the pregame shows and during the games. Would he do it? It made for a bunch of nervous nellies, but Manning came out cool, throwing #507 to ex-Steelers Emmanuel Sanders and tying the record with #508 to Wes Welker who ran for his life toward the end zone. Demaryius Thomas was the receiver that will go down in the history books with catch #509 in the end zone where he drug his two feet after making the catch. I'll admit it. I cried. It is one of the first times I've seen Manning really be emotional over one of his records. Sniff. He is the best. Ever.

Keep away - Manning has said that he doesn't ever get to keep game balls of other records he has set because the receivers always take the ball. After he threw #509 he went to get it from Thomas who then threw it over Manning's head to another receiver who then threw it back in a monkey in the middle game before Manning finally ended up with it.

Brett Favre - He was on the NFL Network today live from his home in Mississippi talking football and shaving. I would have liked to have heard more from him regarding Peyton Manning, but he did say that he had no doubt his record would be surpassed that night. It was a fun piece. He looks great and his whole family was there in the background.

St.  Louis - Tom came in right after Russell Wilson led the Seahawks down the field and into the end zone. He asked me how Seattle's defense was and I said, "Uh, Richard Sherman" who then deflected the ball on third down. St. Louis lined up to punt and I said, "Better watch for the trick punt. They're going to throw." Tom now knows that Cara knows football.

Wild Ending - The Rams needed another first down to just be able to run out the clock, and Tre Mason got it and more. But whoop he fumbled as he went to the ground and both teams scrambled as the ball rolled and twirled from one player to another. In slow motion it looks like Seahawks Richard Sherman has the ball under his legs where it slowly rolls up into his arms, but the refs ruled it St. Louis' ball. Word is there was no clear evidence to prove Seattle had the ball. Uh? I thought Pete Carroll was very professional in his post game conference. I'm not sure I could have been, but Carroll was uncharacteristically calm and nonchalant. "Richard was on top of the ball, but he was on his knees and he couldn't get flat on the ground. They could have said he had it.. They could have looked in there if they saw it and given him the football. But the time wore on in the pile and the ball got moved around. They did a good job getting it back."

Detroit Comeback - New Orleans dominated the first half and looked to have the game locked, but the Lions refused to quit. Drew Bree's threw an interception, Matt Strattford threw the go ahead TD, and the Lions defense sealed the deal. The catch by Corey Fuller was so sweet. He had to propel his airborne body back to the turf so that he could drag in his two feet. Awesome.

Da Bears - I got this game locally, along with Green Bay, and boy, what snoozers. Every time I pick the Bears they lose and vice versa. Apparently, after their loss the players erupted at one another in their locker room. Twitter was crazy with all of the scoop which pretty much told us nothing other than there was some yelling and Brandon Marshall was at the center of it. Well, yeah, you usually want to beat the team that let you go so I understand his frustration, but maybe he should have done more on the field, huh?

Redskins quarterbacks - Thank goodness we have something to speculate all week. Who will be Washington's quarterback now that Kirk Cousins was benched and Colt McCoy won the game? Does anyone even really even care?

NFL Network - I alternated yesterday between my favorite pregame show on Fox and the NFL Network which I have never watched before. I'm glad I did because I loved it. I know some people don't like the whole guys laughing and cutting up, but I like it. Sometimes they go overboard and embarrass themselves, but it is all good fun, and the NFL Network line up was a keeper. My favorite besides the Favre piece was Warren Sapp giving us the lowdown on Dallas' play last week with a tiny Sapp on the screen as a player.

Steelers - We play tonight. I'm hoping we do as well as we have done in the past on Monday night, but I don't necessarily have a lot of hope. Yes, I do. 

No comments: