Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Mother's Day freebie you can keep

Darcy is our coupon kid. She's my child that worries about the cost of items, although that doesn't stop her from purchasing. She just finds a deal and a coupon. Years ago, she spent one summer finding coupons for our groceries, and by doing so, earned the money she saved. My MIL still tells the story of a dinner at Chilis where Darcy pulled out her points card and saved her money.

One Saturday night at our local BBQ hang-out where the four of us were eating, Darcy read that if we texted a number to our phones we would receive a discount off our bill. She had my husband do just that, and then each visit after she had another one of us text it so we that we eventually ended up with four discounts. But by doing this, we agreed to receive offers texted to us.

They come sporadically, usually around the holidays. hey offer family deals with BBQ pork, two sides, and garlic bread. They offer $5 off a carry-out. They offer holiday specials of ribs, or BBQ. All great deals to lure us to the restaurant.

This morning while enjoying my morning coffee, one such offer tinged first on Tom's phone and then on mine. Wondering who was tinging us both, I opened mine to read this:

**BBQ* HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! 
FREE bottomless salad bar for MOM! 
Valid today thru Sunday.

I'll admit my first thought was a good one. While I don't find their salad bar to be top notch, I do enjoy a salad with my meal. This restaurant, however, charges too much for what they provide so I usually don't eat it. But if they are offering a freebie for me...

Immediately after that very thought, came the other one; a free salad bar? What? Because women should be eating leafy lettuce? What did you offer the fathers last year? Something tells me it wasn't a salad bar. I bet they were offered MEAT. BBQ. Nothing green in their coupon. 

Salad? Come on! It's not even a decent bar and frankly, should be free for the items they throw into those containers. The last time I had the salad bar there I asked the waiter to please ask that the lettuce bowl be exchanged for a fresh one. I don't usually do things like that, but darn it, I wanted a salad that night with my BBQ and the lettuce was browning. 

For the hell of it, I might just go to the restaurant and order the salad bar and a glass of water. And then when the nice woman who owns the franchise comes to my table to make sure all is well, I'm going to tell her that I think her kids have short-changed her and that she might just want to rethink their Christmas gifts this year. I mean, a free salad at a BBQ place? Please.

Mother's deserve more.








No comments: